Cub Cadet RZT54 KW Spindle noise?

BarryCripps

Forum Newbie
Threads
Me again.....

Whenever I kill the PTO on my mower (RZT54), as the blades slow down, there is a "tinging" noise that comes from my far right (as if I'm sitting on the tractor) blade/spindle. A mechanic told me that it's a sign that the blade brake clutch is going out, but I don't think this model of deck HAS blade braking in the spindle. Regardless....he's saying that the spindle may need to be replaced very soon.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't make the noise while the PTO is engaged and the blades are at speed....its only when they are slowing to a stop. Any ideas what's going on here?

wildbill

Threads
Go Cats!!!

Most all mowers have a spring-loaded arm that has a piece of brake pad material on one end that contacts the blade pulley(s) and acts as a brake. When you engage the blades the arm is moved away from the blade pulley(s) and allows the blade pulley(s) to turn freely with the blade belt. Likewise, when you disengage the blades the arm(s) goes against the blade pulley(s) and quickly stops the pulley(s) from turning, it is a safety thing, no more, no less.

On my Craftsman 42" rider, 12 years old, the "brake pads" on the blade pulley stop arms have been long gone. The noise when I would disengage the blades was a metal-to-metal sound. So, I had 4 choices:
1- Turn up the sound level on my earphones,
2- Ignore the noise,
3- Replace the arms and pads,
4- Disconnect the springs on the arms,

I opted for # 2.