Cub Cadet overheating and quitting.

rcgramps

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Cub Cadet with Kohler engine runs for about an hour then quits. The engine seems quite warm when I raise the hood. It won't start again until it has cooled off for at least 2-3 hrs.. Does the engine have a high temp cut-off?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No high temp cutoff. what engine do you have. It would be easier to identify the problem if we knew the model of engine in your cub.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be that the ignition coil is on its way out.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When the engine shroud is in place there should be a strong flow of air flowing down across the cooling fins of the head(s) and spark plug area. Being careful of where you place your hand around moving pulleys etc. and hot exhaust, you should be able to feel that air flow. If you can't feel a good air flow it may be time to remove the shroud and check for a rodent nest blockage. That's one of their favorite nesting locations.

rcgramps

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the replies. I did notice that the air inlets in the shroud weren't building up debris like they normally do. So I wondered if the fan had stopped. I looked closely behind the engine to see the fan and found (difficulty to see) that the inlet screen in front of the fan was mostly clogged with grass clippings. I cleaned it off and did more mowing and the engine was markedly cooler afterwards. I think I have found the problem and hopefully fixed it. Thanks again.:smile:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well if you have, then clean it more often then the problem will not return....:thumbsup:

rcgramps

Forum Newbie
Threads
Right on. It would help if the screen was more visible, but it is what it is.
FYI - the time posted for this post is way off. It is 10:00 am EDLT right now.

tybilly

Threads
My Cub Cadet with Kohler engine runs for about an hour then quits. The engine seems quite warm when I raise the hood. It won't start again until it has cooled off for at least 2-3 hrs.. Does the engine have a high temp cut-off?

also dont gap your plugs at.44 like i think champion reccomends,im not sure what model you have but the kohler simplicity sunstar came with pligs gapped at .44 and was blowing coils,please correct me if im wrong somebody

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
spark plug gap's for Kohler engine's are from .025" to .035" Champion recommend .025"