Cub cadet ltx 1040 PTO lever replacement

cljynn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking forward advice on removing the PTO lever.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why are you removing lever?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The replacement is not covered in the service manual. But here is a few hints.

First remove the battery and its box. This allows to access the inner workings of the lever.
Second that plastic pivot bushing is actually a two piece design so it removal is simple.
Once all the connector linkage are loose you be able simple work the lever out but the fender pan will probably need to taken a loose (pretty sure it will need to be) to get the lever out of the fender. Easy but time consuming. So far I only had to replace the bushings.

See the Body panel section for info on the fender pan removal. Starts on manual page 42 (PDF page 48)

cljynn

Forum Newbie
Threads
The replacement is not covered in the service manual. But here is a few hints.

First remove the battery and its box. This allows to access the inner workings of the lever.
Second that plastic pivot bushing is actually a two piece design so it removal is simple.
Once all the connector linkage are loose you be able simple work the lever out but the fender pan will probably need to taken a loose (pretty sure it will need to be) to get the lever out of the fender. Easy but time consuming. So far I only had to replace the bushings.

See the Body panel section for info on the fender pan removal. Starts on manual page 42 (PDF page 48)
Thank you very much. I'm thinking the lever is bent just enough to have to be cut in order to remove. I've removed several body panel bolts already but maybe not enough so I'll check further. Ty.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You should not have to cut anything as it was installed without any bending. But fender pan will need to be free enough to lift it up over the lever. Now I just had to bend one these levers back after the customer had it nearly half way down to the locked position but that is probably a different problem then you have.

He or someone was man handling the lever as the idler arm was jamming due to rust, being worn out plus PTO cable was installed wrong jamming the LH brake arm under the spindle pulley.

I know it aggravating but these pans has to come loose a lot of the time just to change out drive pulleys. It is because OEMs switched from using carriage bolt to hex cap screws which now you got to get a wrench in there to hold it.

Last edited:

cljynn

Forum Newbie
Threads
You should not have to cut anything as it was installed without any bending. But fender pan will need to be free enough to lift it up over the lever. Now I just had to bend one these levers back after the customer had it nearly half way down to the locked position but that is probably a different problem then you have.

He or someone was man handling the lever as the idler arm was jamming due to rust, being worn out plus PTO cable was installed wrong jamming the LH brake arm under the spindle pulley.

I know it aggravating but these pans has to come loose a lot of the time just to change out drive pulleys. It is because OEMs switched from using carriage bolt to hex cap screws which now you got to get a wrench in there to hold it.
This customer's major complaint was the PTO lever would not stay engaged, it actually would spring back out of position so I'm assuming I the lever is bent. I'm replacing both belts, the plastic bushings and the PTO lever. Cable appears to be ok, no fraying. I will continue to look for bolts to remove to lift up that fender. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply sir.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now the LTX1040 here the PTO lever actually locks down.

The fender is held on with about 11-13 screws and nuts. Note two screws are hidden under that large operator label on the pan between the operator legs. You press around on the label until you find the two recess screw placements. Then using a knife or razor blade cut out the label in these areas to reveal the two 1/4" screws.

Last edited:

cljynn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now the LTX1040 here the PTO lever actually locks down.

The fender is held on with about 11 screws and nuts. Note two screws are hidden under that large operator label on the pan between the operator legs. You press around on the label until you find the two recess screw placements. Then using a knife or razor blade cut out the label in these areas to reveal the two 1/4" screws.
That's the 2 I've missed Star. Excellent advice!

cljynn

Forum Newbie
Threads
That was the ticket Star Tech. The 2 under the Iabel and some twisting on the lever and voila out it came. I greatly appreciate the info. Take care my friend.