Cub Cadet LTX 1040 2009 loose deck belt issues

RFP3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having real trouble getting my engage handle to get enough tension to rotate blades Just installed 2nd 42" belt for the 2014 season. Still loose. Confused by cable and spring assembly. I may not have reset properly. Any input welcome. Thanks, Reg3

gfp55

Threads
Having real trouble getting my engage handle to get enough tension to rotate blades Just installed 2nd 42" belt for the 2014 season. Still loose. Confused by cable and spring assembly. I may not have reset properly. Any input welcome. Thanks, Reg3
You need to take the deck off the tractor so you can get at all the parts that the belt works with. There is a belt tensioner that should move freely, dirt/grass/crud will stop it from moving freely. After the deck is cleaned, check all the parts in the belt path. There will be a belt tensioner, check it for free movement and make sure it isn't loose like it ready to come off. I use spray graphite to lube parts that are exposed to dirt, Oil will attract dirt and stop free movement over time. Don't get any lube on the pulleys or belts. Check to see if the tension spring is good and in the correct place. Check the spindles for free movement and noise, play. If everything is clean, lubed and working freely, install the belt and check to see if its fairly tight, there should be some play but not to much that the belt slips. Make sure the cable isn't rusty and it move freely also. If everything check out OK then put the deck back on the tractor and test it to see if it cuts like you want. Keep us updated