Cub Cadet LT1042 No Click or Digital Reading

millennialdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys recently purchased this riding lawn mower has worked exceptionally untill a a month back when I carelessly went out to mow my yard while the law was still wet after a nice little shower pushed through here in florida.

Long story short the deck belt went out, easy DIY got the belt on but I forgot to set the belt guide on the PTO clutch not and when I went to start it the entire PTO clutch electrical harness came undone at the base of the PTO clutch.

Couple week later ordered the PTO clutch got the thing put on with the belt guide in the notch of th PTO clutch but when I went to start the engine no power no click. Here’s what I did to troubleshoot and my conlclusion as of now is that I need a new ignition switch.
  1. Cleaned terminal post for batter
  2. Checked battery, pulls 12v
  3. Cleaned starter solenoid
  4. Checked the solenoid post for current did not get desired reading, then my solenoid post broke off so I need to now replace that.
So because I was not getting current from the battery to the solenoid my only conclusion at this point is that the ignition switch is at fault.

I checked for continuity on the ignition switch but Im not 100% on my readings, testing with multimeters is all very knew to me and will likely revisit this. However if this reading is correct what else could be at fault?

Originally I thought the PTO safety switch remained engaged in memory when it got yanked and it needed to be cleared out of memory or something but that should not prevent me from seeing a reading on the digital dashboard if I turn the key and this is really whats causing me to think that its the ignition switch becuase at minimum this should show something and the only thing in front of the electrical chain is the ignition, any input suggestions are appreciated I really need to get this thing going and dont mind getting my hands dirty and learning in the process as opposed to sending it to a shop where its likely going to sit there for 2 months to a year, help!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No place in your post did you mention checking the fuse, Which could be the problem. damaging the pto clutch could of shorted out the system and blew the fuse. The fuse should be located some where close to the battery but MTD likes to hide them.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Per service manual the 20A fuse is located near the RMC module / key switch assembly, under the dash panel.

This is usually on the RH side of the operator tower if viewed from the operator seating position. Usually around the RH side of the battery.

millennialdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
i did not check the fuse, i will try this and report back unfortunately I still need to get the started solenoid so need to wait for this also

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without a main fuse, nothing other than the PTO will work
Without a PTO fuse mower will start but blades will not spin