Cub Cadet HDS2135 fuel Question

MingoMowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a cub cadet 2135 with a kohler command 12.5 motor, got it on trade, the issue the guy was having was he said it needed a fuel pump, i added an aftermarket electric pump from auto zone that pumps 2.5-4 psi, it runs and drives fine other than it seems to kill of when i throttle down below 1/3 throttle, do i need to add a return line to the tank between pump and carbureator to reduce fuel to carb? with it killing off below 1/3 throttle it makes me wonder if im dumping too much fuel is why im asking

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

MingoMowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
cant use the stock pump, the engine lobe that operates it is worn..... if i could use the original i would have gone that route, im asking if i need to simply run a return line between the pump and carb to reduce the amount of fuel, so id put a Y on the pump exit hose and one hose to carb and one to tank, i believe this will work but im just trying to bounce ideas off you guys

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you say "kill off below 1/3 throttle" does it start blowing black out rhe exhault? Does applying partial choke keep it running?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is because at 1/3 throttle or less, the charging coil is not supplying enough amperage to feed the new super duper electric wonder pump. Crank the revs up to 3600 and see how she runs.

It's not wise to idle down a mower engine. Doesn't charge the battery properly. Some don't have an oil pump, some do though. Splash lube engines are not recommended to idle down.

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
This all sounds like a simple carb problem. Throttling the engine back probably has it transitioning from the high speed jet to the low speed circuit which is probably clogged. The battery would keep the fuel pump working even at low rpm and 4 psi should not over power the needle and seat.