Cub Cadet 18 Hp & 20 HP Kohler Magnun motor Runs to hot to touch

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet 18 Hp & 20 HP Kohler Magnun motor Runs to hot to touch
Bruce, Too hot to touch is not a reliable indication of heat. Your frying pan is usually 350F to cook bacon,but that's a danger zone for an aluminum head. IMO synthetic oil will not cool any better than regular oil. AC engines are all on the edge of overheat when doing hard work in hot weather IMO. Lots of threads in this forum

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... IMO synthetic oil will not cool any better than regular oil. ...

That is Not why you should use Synthetic oil.
You use a good Synthetic Because the oil WILL occationally incounter temps that will burn regular mineral oil... The Synthetic Will not burn into carbon. It is not only going to continue cooling But it will Also continue lubricating ... Mineral oil that has been over temped will not....:smile:KennyV

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is Not why you should use Synthetic oil.
You use a good Synthetic Because the oil WILL occationally incounter temps that will burn regular mineral oil... The Synthetic Will not burn into carbon. It is not only going to continue cooling But it will Also continue lubricating ... Mineral oil that has been over temped will not....:smile:KennyV

Kenny, If by mineral oil you mean auto spec oils I have discussed this often on this forum and my position is unchanged . If you operate in sub freezing temps or high rpms (racing or trimmer ) synthetic is better. In other applications the auto spec oils with their additive paks are good way out to 300F where some additives may weaken. "Flash" where oil becomes vapor and ignites is out at 390F and the synthetics are a little better out there. But out there you've already lost the head Even my Intek which ran 300F when it came apart (twice) showed no signs of lubrication problems with Chevron 10-30. In summer it holds 35-40 psi on oil gage at 270F sump with its original journals/bearings. :smile: