Craftsman YS4500 (917-276601) will not start

Southerner

Threads
I have a Craftsman YS4500 (917-276691) (Husqvarna YTH22V42) and when I went out to use it this week for the first time this season it did nothing when I turned the key. No solenoid clicking. No starter turning. Nothing. Last year I had notices that the rubber cover seemed to be a little in the way but I could get the key in and it would start. I suspect the ignition switch is the problem but before I find one of those and replace it can you offer any troubleshooting help? I am going to take a wire (#12awg I suspect) and try to jump the starter to see if it is the starter or not but beyond that I do not know how to jump the ignition switch to determine if the switch is bad. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thank you.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
your battery is more than likely the problem, check battery terminals for corrosion, charge battery.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would second it on the battery needing recharged or at least that is the first step in troubleshooting. Battery do self over time in storage or when they are going bad. I just had a kid's Chinese ATV come in yesterday that the owner replaced the battery last year. It was already down to under 7 volts over the winter months. A simple recharge and test (which it passed) was all it needed.

Naveed Anjum Hashmi

Forum Newbie
Threads
In My Experience You can perform these steps to diagnose further and to resolve the issue:

1. Check the Battery: Start by checking the battery voltage. Make sure it's fully charged and that the connections are clean and tight. A weak or dead battery can cause the mower not to start.
  2. Inspect the Ignition Switch: Since you suspect the ignition switch, inspect it for any visible damage or corrosion. Sometimes, debris or moisture can affect the switch's performance. Clean the switch contacts with a contact cleaner spray and a small brush.
  3. Test the Ignition Switch: To test the ignition switch, you can use a multimeter set to measure continuity or resistance. Disconnect the battery before proceeding. Then, with the ignition switch in the "off" position, check for continuity between specific terminals according to your mower's wiring diagram. There should be continuity between certain terminals in the "start" position and others in the "run" position. If there's no continuity or if the readings are inconsistent, the ignition switch may be faulty.
  4. Check the Safety Switches: Many mowers have safety switches that prevent them from starting if certain conditions are not met, such as the seat not being engaged or the blades being engaged. Check these switches for proper operation and connections.
  5. Jump the Starter: As you mentioned, you can jump the starter directly to bypass the ignition switch and other components. Use a piece of insulated wire (12 AWG should be sufficient) to connect the positive terminal of the battery directly to the starter's solenoid terminal. Be extremely cautious when doing this and ensure the mower is in neutral and the parking brake is engaged.
  6. Test the Starter: If the starter turns when you jump it, it indicates that the starter motor itself is operational. This would further suggest that the issue lies with the ignition switch or another component in the starting circuit.
  7. Inspect Wiring and Connections: Visually inspect the wiring harness for any signs of damage, such as frayed wires or loose connections. Make sure all connections are secure and free of corrosion.
By systematically going through these steps, you should be able to narrow down the cause of the starting issue with your lawn tractor. If you find that the ignition switch is indeed faulty, you can then proceed with replacing it.

Read more in my blog for separately understanding the above steps. Thanks!

Southerner

Threads
your battery is more than likely the problem, check battery terminals for corrosion, charge battery.
That was the first thing I checked. I removed the battery and cleaned the terminals and put it back on the tractor before I did anymore but with a fully charged battery nothing happened. No indication the ignition switch was even on.