Craftsman tractor carb problems

jfroage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello the forum,

I have a 26 hp Kohler V-twin on a Sears Craftsman mower. I have had Sears techs out twice to repair the engine. It gets some kind of Green scale on the needle valve and seat and on the fuel shut off valve. This "Green stuff" is untouched by carb cleaner or lacquer thinner or anything else I have tried except a pocket knife. Sears says the fuel is bad. Not true on the fuel, I run it in everything else with no problem and no "Green stuff". I think the fuel is reacting with the metal parts of the carb and causing the problem. So, what say ye? I am close to desparate. Thanks,

jroage

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say how old the mower is. I work on multiple engines every year and have seen more than one case where fuel would work in every item that the customer owns but one. I know that you don't want to here this, but Sears is correct that it is a fuel problem, most likely due to ethanol ( not starting an argument), Because the ethanol doesn't cause the problem it is the hydroscopic properties of the ethanol combining with the water in the air that is causing the corrosion that you are seeing.

About the only way for a manufacturer to warranty a carb on today's engines is for a casting flaw, because everything else is considered fuel related problems by the OEM's I checked to see if Kohler had any bulletins for your engines, but didn't find any. Just got a new carb bulletin the other day from Kohler and it basically said that if the engine has been in use for more than two months or second mowing season, any carb problems are to be suspect fuel issues.

jfroage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much for the reply. The mower is less than one year old. I understand what you are saying. I thought the fuel I am buying was ethenol free, but I guess not. I am not a chemist, but your reply makes sense. Thanks again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Agree with ilengine, fuel is the problem. A solution that works for us about 75% of the tine is to use 92 octane fuel ( I know this has ethynal in it) plus twice the amount of an additive called SeaFoam. Don't know don't know thevsize of your gas can, I suggest a one gallon can, you'll use it up before it starts to break down. Make sure the carb is clean first.