Craftsman Throttle and Governer Springs

pinbill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Everyone,

I bought a used Craftsman 115-082A352 lawn mower with the Brigs and Stratten 89802 motor. The PO had some ghetto springs on the throttle and governer linkage. I tried to make a new setup but it does not work. It either revs like crazy or stalls. I bought two new springs (throttle and governer) but need to know how they go on. Does anyone have any pics or reference to a diagram,

Thanks,

Bill

wildbill

Threads
Invest in a repair manual for your engine. You can get them on line sometimes for free. The manual will give instructions as to how and where to attach the correct springs, and how to adjust the governor which just may be the problem. You also may be able to find a utube video on your model on governor adjustment.

DaveTN

Threads
May want to check the library and get a manual or book. Even if yours doesn't have it, there's always Inter-Library Loan where you can get one. On those small engines, the SOLID link goes from the TOP of the governor shaft/arm to the throttle. The one with the spring goes from the Governor to the throttle control lever and basically stretches the spring. The resultant effect of the SPRING pulling the engine INTO fuel and the GOVERNOR pulling it OUT of fuel results in engine RPM. Stretch the spring, engine goes faster. Let the tension off the spring and the engine slows down. Will have to get the linkages INTO the throttle on top of the carburetor and into the Governor arm BEFORE you bolt the carb to the engine. Otherwise you can't wiggle it in place afterwards. Hope this helps.

wildbill

Threads
DaveTn, good description. I knew a Vol fan would come to the rescue. Me, I am from K-town, 1947 vintage.