Craftsman T3200 Leaking Grease on rear tire.

mulder75

Forum Newbie
Threads
I noticed grease on the inside of the left rear tire of my T3200 Craftsman mower. I found a part number for an outer seal and ordered a pair. Wondering about grease/oil replacement. Aren't these sealed units?

Dennis Gillaspie
Tecumseh, KS

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need more info on the part leaking.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need the model from the serial number tag as these came either both the Tuff Torq K46 and the General Transmissions RS800 [plastic housing] transaxles.

The K46 uses SAE15w50 motor oil and the RS800 use EP2 grease. Topping off K46 requires removing it.

If you has the RS800 the grease leakage can look a lot worst than it is. On those you replace the seals and drive the mower around for 30 minutes and then check the bottom of the unit to see it is heating up excessively. If doesn't then you are fine. Other adding grease is also a removal of the transaxle.

Here is how one can look and still don't need additional grease.
1696160729598.png

Adding oil to K46 is fairly simple but may need a new seal cap as they do age and go bad.

IF you have the GTI RS800 then I can try to post the instructions links on adding grease. But will require quite a bit of disassembly just to get to the add point. They are not very good. And really should let someone that familiar with unit do it.

Last edited:

mulder75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need the model from the serial number tag as these came either both the Tuff Torq K46 and the General Transmissions RS800 [plastic housing] transaxles.

The K46 uses SAE15w50 motor oil and the RS800 use EP2 grease. Topping off K46 requires removing it.

If you has the RS800 the grease leakage can look a lot worst than it is. On those you replace the seals and drive the mower around for 30 minutes and then check the bottom of the unit to see it is heating up excessively. If doesn't then you are fine. Other adding grease is also a removal of the transaxle.

Here is how one can look and still don't need additional grease.
View attachment 66884

Adding oil to K46 is fairly simple but may need a new seal cap as they do age and go bad.

IF you have the GTI RS800 then I can try to post the instructions links on adding grease. But will require quite a bit of disassembly just to get to the add point. They are not very good. And really should let someone that familiar with unit do it.
sorry, I meant to post the actual model number and forgot. 917.20391. According to TractorData.Com, it has a GTRS800, so hoping your tip about running it around the yard and checking for overheating does the trick.
transmission.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1696422073279.png
GTI did indicate how much or how you get the grease in there. I reckon it is up to us to figure part out on our own.