Craftsman stuck in high gear!!!

hannum79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,
I have a Craftsman LT1000 model #917-272072. The problem started a little bit back, I was having trouble shifting between gears especially getting it out of and into first gear. Well the other day I was mowing and it got stuck in reverse and I gave the shifter a bit of force and it pop out of reverse and went all the way into high gear (6). Unfortanutely again getting completely stuck in gear. So I finished mowing my yard in high gear with alot of brake use. After I finished I parked it and tried to get it out of high gear to no avail. I eventually tried to use force as I did when it was stuck in reverse. I only ended up breaking the mounting bracket for the shifter handle. What would be causing the gears to be getting stuck like this? This is my first riding lawn mower and dont know alot about the workings of the transaxles in these. FYI the mower is in great shape very clean I pressure wash on a frequent basis to keep from any clipping from building up on the underside of the mower. Thanks in advance for your help. All suggestions appreciated!!!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Craftsman Lawn Tractor Tecumseh Peerless 6 Speed Transaxle 794691 MST 206 545C | eBay

Lawn Tractor Transaxle | Part Number 794691 | GUARANTEED FIT from Sears PartsDirect

PEERLESS TRANSAXLE Diagram & Parts List for Model 917272072 Craftsman-Parts Riding-mower-tractor-Parts | SearsPartsDirect The two I posted above are your transaxle just in case you decide to go with a new one. I would first inspect all linkages, everything that has to do with transaxle and shifting, make sure you grease & lube all moving parts after correcting problem including steering sector & pinion gears. If you have a set of jackstands you can isolate problem as being transaxle, you might want to tear into it, disassemble, inspect and make repair as your parts look to be readily available.Let us know how it goes, thanks.