Craftsman String Trimmer Doesn't Turn Off

Blaine B.

Threads
I purchased a used Craftsman string trimmer which was manufactured in 2006. I am unsure of the model because the rear half of the plastic engine cover is missing.

The unit runs really well, but I notice that sometimes it will not turn off when I flip the switch to "off"

It will run rougher when the switch is turned off, and I have to play with the choke and throttle to get it to power down.

Any idea what the problem might be? It almost seems as if it is "dieseling" or something, but that doesn't make sense since the spark is essentially turned off.

It's a small quirk and not a big deal, overall.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either bad kill switch, or bad connection at either the switch, module, or the ground wire.

Blaine B.

Threads
I will check it out. Never thought about the possibility that the switch may be shorting out when it is in the "off" position.

Now that you mention it, when I noticed it doing this, I had just rinsed off the unit. Could be a short due to the switch getting wet!

Blaine B.

Threads
It is still doing it when totally dried off. I will replace the switch. Sometimes it will shut off, but when I turn the switch off, it will usually just "bog down" and then I have to squeeze one of the fuel lines to cut it off totally.

This trimmer is just what I was looking for. You can rotate the trimmer head 90' and it does a superb job of edging. Easiest method I have found so far. And the small blower attachment is better than what I would have thought. Does a fine job of blowing grass and dirt off of the sidewalks after edging and mowing. Probably not very effective for blowing leaves off of grass, but for flat hard surfaces, it does the job quite well.

Runs great for being 8 years old. Starts super easy. Totally worth the $30 I paid!

Blaine B.

Threads
I tested the switch with my volt meter. Not a super test but the switch appeared to be a bit "loose" internally.

I took the switch out of the loop, drilled a small hole in the top of the plastic engine shroud, and installed a mini toggle switch near the spark plug.

Shuts off right away now.