Craftsman push mower still leaking oil after oil seal replaced

Mrspicy

Threads
  • / Craftsman push mower still leaking oil after oil seal replaced
Hi guys,
I have an older craftsman self-propelled push mower eager 1 type with the older style Tecumseh engine that is mounted backwards (hope that's enough info to give you an idea what type of engine, I can put up the model number later if needed) that developed an oil leak where the shaft for the blade comes out. I replaced the oil seal but it still is leaking oil from the same exact spot. Any ideas on what could be wrong? It was installed right side up and tapped evenly into place with a pipe.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi guys,
I have an older craftsman self-propelled push mower eager 1 type with the older style Tecumseh engine that is mounted backwards (hope that's enough info to give you an idea what type of engine, I can put up the model number later if needed) that developed an oil leak where the shaft for the blade comes out. I replaced the oil seal but it still is leaking oil from the same exact spot. Any ideas on what could be wrong? It was installed right side up and tapped evenly into place with a pipe.

Wrong seal, grove in shaft, spring came off the seal lip??? just a few reasons.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'll bet that when you installed it one of two things happened. Either the shaft is worn or was dirty when you put the new seal in. If the shaft was in go shape, when you cut the seal when you installed it. This will happen at times to an experienced mechanic. You will have to put the seal out and inspect the shaft. If there is no wear or nicks in the shaft, you just need to install a new seal. You must make sure that the entire length of the shaft is clean and smooth before installing. Two tricks I use when installing seals. First, I give the entire length of the shaft a good coating of assembly lube or grease. Second, I take a very thin piece of plastic (I use a microfiche card) and roll it and put it over the shaft for extra protection to slide the new seal on. I know that this is over kill, but it eliminates the possibility of cutting the seal during instalation.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does the mower vibrate a lot?

Mrspicy

Threads
Hey guys thanks for the help. Rivets especially. I think it may have gotten ripped when putting it on I'll have to take a look at the shaft. I never did check the shaft when I put it in. Now when I think about it there was a string or rope wrapped around the blade maybe a piece was still melted on there. As far as possibly the wrong part I'm nearly positive that the part was correct I cross referenced it with the model number and part number. I believe it was a genuine Tecumseh part but I don't remember now. I will recheck the model number and part number when I order a new one to double check this time around. The mower doesn't vibrate much, it seems to run fine just leaks oil at a pretty steady pace while running. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Mrspicy

Threads
Hi guys, the part got here a few days ago and I finally got around to putting it in. The shaft was pretty dirty and rusty so I hit it a few times with the wire brush on my angle grinder but there was still a bit of rust up by the engine so I cut a small piece of sand paper and used that to get the last bit. Then I coated the shaft with some oil and popped that seal in. Started the mower up and so far so good. Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Congratulations, thank you for reporting back. Most don't take the time.