Craftsman Model 917.274041 Blows Fuse

bedly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman riding lawn mower Model 917.274041.

I start unit, engage the blades and cut grass for about 5 minutes. Then the blades stop and about 5-10 seconds later the engine dies. Try to start and nothing- no click or crank.
The 20 amp fuse is blown. This has happened twice.
What could be the problem?

Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the clutch, it seems you may have a bad one, also check out that should have a 20 Amp fuse, on wiring diagram that I have it show's it has being 30 Amp fuse, but if its blowing a 20 Amp its bad.

bedly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the clutch, it seems you may have a bad one, also check out that should have a 20 Amp fuse, on wiring diagram that I have it show's it has being 30 Amp fuse, but if its blowing a 20 Amp its bad.

How do I check the clutch?
What kind of resistance should I read on the clutch?

THANKS for your help

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Disconnect clutch wire connector
Set the multimeter or volt/ohm meter to check resistance (ohms)
Connect the meter lead wires to the wires in the clutch connector
The meter should read between 2.40 ohms and 3.40 ohms. If the reading is above or below these readings, the field has failed and needs to be replaced. If the reading is between these two limits, measure the clutch current draw.

Note that same PTO clutches are adjustable, and some are not...!

If adjustable, set the air gap at 0.012" (0.3mm)

bedly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update on Mower blades sopping after 5 minutes cutting then blowing fuse 6-10 seconds later.

Finally got my son to come over and help me.
We tested resistance of clutch (cold) and it was 3.5 ohms.

Son brought over his air compressor and impact wrench. We tried to remove clutch without it, and had no luck. Finally got clutch off.
Checked all wiring and looked good. Checked gap of clutch and it was more than 022. Adjusted to 010 and reinstalled. Cut grass for 45 minutes with no problem.
Today cut grass down from 10 inches to 4 in afield, cutting over an hour- no problems.

Never would have thought the gap on clutch would be the problem.
THANKS to all for your help.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are welcome, and thank you for the update...:thumbsup: