Craftsman LT2000 electrical problem

edhackem

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've owned this tractor for 2 years now--bought it used. It's got the 17.5 hp Kohler in it. Model is 917-273180. It's had starting issues from day 1. First year I jumped it with a battery jump box and it would start right up and run fine. Bought a new battery this spring, but it still wouldn't start with the battery alone--only when I used the jump box. Now it runs for a few mins and stalls out. I put the jump box on it, it starts right up, runs for a few mins, and stalls out. I put a charge on the battery -- it reads 12.4 v but still won't start. Now in order to run it, I have to have the jump box attached and it runs fine--that's how I've cut my grass the past 2 times. I put a Fluke meter on it while it was running and noticed that the battery voltage dropped while it ran, and it went under 5v and stalled. Something draining the battery voltage? Any ideas? Seat switch? Ignition switch? Maybe some tests to recommend to troubleshoot?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things that would cause your problem. First, from your symptoms I would say your charging system is not working. Here is a service manual which should help you diagnosis if it is the stator or regulator.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Koh...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf

Also, have the battery load tested, you may have a bad battery or if the battery is good your ground cable maybe bad or loose.

edhackem

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two things that would cause your problem. First, from your symptoms I would say your charging system is not working. Here is a service manual which should help you diagnosis if it is the stator or regulator.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Koh...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf

Also, have the battery load tested, you may have a bad battery or if the battery is good your ground cable maybe bad or loose.

Thanks for the manual--that's what I was looking for. I'll run a few tests and see what I can find.

Rokon

Threads

This advice is spot on. You probably have a weak or dead battery and a voltage regulator that is dead.

deano77

Threads
I've owned this tractor for 2 years now--bought it used. It's got the 17.5 hp Kohler in it. Model is 917-273180. It's had starting issues from day 1. First year I jumped it with a battery jump box and it would start right up and run fine. Bought a new battery this spring, but it still wouldn't start with the battery alone--only when I used the jump box. Now it runs for a few mins and stalls out. I put the jump box on it, it starts right up, runs for a few mins, and stalls out. I put a charge on the battery -- it reads 12.4 v but still won't start. Now in order to run it, I have to have the jump box attached and it runs fine--that's how I've cut my grass the past 2 times. I put a Fluke meter on it while it was running and noticed that the battery voltage dropped while it ran, and it went under 5v and stalled. Something draining the battery voltage? Any ideas? Seat switch? Ignition switch? Maybe some tests to recommend to troubleshoot?

12.4 is not fully charged possibly bad cell like everyone else said probably not charging full is 12.8 you can go old school with a 5$hydrometer checking each cell

Mike_Goad

Threads
all the previous posters are right that it is not a fully charged battery. HOWEVER, why would the battery drain down while the unit was running? Once the unit is started, the battery has nothing to do except charge.
Now,with that said, if it is a battery ignition system where the battery is hooked to the coil (through the switch), that will drain the battery and when low enough, the unit will die.
another issue is if it has an electric clutch. the clutch draws a lot of power and if the charging system is bad will kill a battery in a heart beat.

I have had to argue this before in other forums but i will say here as well. the battery in your mower is only about a 250 amp battery. these should never be charged or jumped from a car battery or high amp out put. it can blow the fuses, destroy the regulator, burn out the stator etc. It all depends why the battery went dead in the first place. The high amp out put can fry a lawn mower system in a heart beat. If there is a short somewhere or when the key is turned to start/on that opens the pathway to the rest of the machine.