Craftsman GT6000 or ...

mystreba

Threads
Early last season my Craftsman GT5000 died (blew a cylinder). I bought the tractor used and loved it - it did everything I needed it to do (except last longer). It was a great four-year run.

Since my neighbor was shipping out overseas, I used his tractor for the remainder of the season in exchange for keeping his lawn up. Big-box Husqvarna. >cough< POS >cough< It got me through the season but I won't be doing THAT again.

Long story short (too late) I'm purchasing a new tractor in exactly two weeks. Budget is ~$4k.

I have 1.75 acres. One acre is turf lawn (euphemism for "mostly dirt"). This is twisty-turny around trees, kids and other landscaping items. There are surface roots that occasionally require raising the deck a bit.

The other .75 acre is field converted to lawn - it's thick, dense and grows fast. It's more-or-less straight runs., but it's a bear to mow. Mid-season, I generally have to mow weekly. If I let it go, I'm hatin' life and kicking the dog. It needs a minimum 54" deck and enough power to throw some grass.

I have numerous opportunities for ground-contact - tilling, plowing, aerating, etc. I say "opportunities" because I don't have the attachments.

What I do have is a dumper cart, and I use that a LOT. Hauling yard debris, dirt, stone, construction materials, etc...

With all the stone and dirt I move, I'd LOVE to have something that could load or push, but the better half of this operation (trust me, I'm being kind) doesn't want to spend that sort of money.

Sooo..... I'm leaning toward a new Craftsman - either the GT6000 $2899 3 yr. warranty 26 hp Kohler Pro Courage V-Twin (Craftsman GT6000 link) or the PGT 9000 $2999 2 yr. warranty Briggs and Stratton 28 HP OHV V-Twin(Craftsman PGT9000 link). I think either would work, but I'm not sure about that Kohler Courage - I've heard some negative things about it and I believe that's what my last tractor had.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if I might be better off shopping used equipment for $4k.

Thoughts?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Early last season my Craftsman GT5000 died (blew a cylinder). I bought the tractor used and loved it - it did everything I needed it to do (except last longer). It was a great four-year run.

Since my neighbor was shipping out overseas, I used his tractor for the remainder of the season in exchange for keeping his lawn up. Big-box Husqvarna. >cough< POS >cough< It got me through the season but I won't be doing THAT again.

Long story short (too late) I'm purchasing a new tractor in exactly two weeks. Budget is ~$4k.

I have 1.75 acres. One acre is turf lawn (euphemism for "mostly dirt"). This is twisty-turny around trees, kids and other landscaping items. There are surface roots that occasionally require raising the deck a bit.

The other .75 acre is field converted to lawn - it's thick, dense and grows fast. It's more-or-less straight runs., but it's a bear to mow. Mid-season, I generally have to mow weekly. If I let it go, I'm hatin' life and kicking the dog. It needs a minimum 54" deck and enough power to throw some grass.

I have numerous opportunities for ground-contact - tilling, plowing, aerating, etc. I say "opportunities" because I don't have the attachments.

What I do have is a dumper cart, and I use that a LOT. Hauling yard debris, dirt, stone, construction materials, etc...

With all the stone and dirt I move, I'd LOVE to have something that could load or push, but the better half of this operation (trust me, I'm being kind) doesn't want to spend that sort of money.

Sooo..... I'm leaning toward a new Craftsman - either the GT6000 $2899 3 yr. warranty 26 hp Kohler Pro Courage V-Twin (Craftsman GT6000 link) or the PGT 9000 $2999 2 yr. warranty Briggs and Stratton 28 HP OHV V-Twin(Craftsman PGT9000 link). I think either would work, but I'm not sure about that Kohler Courage - I've heard some negative things about it and I believe that's what my last tractor had.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if I might be better off shopping used equipment for $4k.

Thoughts?

I looked at the specs for both...the deck on the PGT 9000 is a slightly heavier gauge but both appear to be well made tractors...if it were my $$ I'd go for the more powerful model. Know what you mean about wishing for the ability to move dirt and stones using a FEL....but not sure if you can find anything in decent shape with a FEL and mower deck for $4000.

On the Kohler Courage engine, and if it is what your last tractor had, do you know why it failed? Beleive me, if I had an engine failure in any of my equipment and I knew I had maintained it properly I would certainly be wary of buying another tractor with the same engine. But to sum up, for the extra 2 hp I'd willingly pay $100 more for the 9000. Been a LONG time since I have looked at Craftsman garden tractors, I am surprised at how big and powerful a model you can get these days.

KeithAlbert

Threads
I had the exact mower you are looking at. I bought it new 6 years ago. It's a hot steamy piece of poo!!! I mow 3 acres. Sounds like a lot but they are wide open smooth easy acres. The Kohler runs great but uses a lot of fuel (roughly 1 1/2 gallons an hour). The rest of the tractor just falls apart. The mower deck has been completely rebuilt 4 times. All the rod ends, steering components are completely worn out. The machine is basicly useless at this point. I would say I put an average of $600 a year in repairs. Needless to say I replaced it with a commercial mower. I would steer clear of the throw away tractors. It won't take the abuse you will give it.

Carl Bert

Threads
Trust me, stay away from craftsman when it comes to tractors. The best tractor you can get, for what you want to spend, is a John Deere GX345. I have owned many tractors, including Craftsman, and believe me when I say that nothing (in that price range) beats this machine.

I bought mine 6 years ago and used it for everything you can imagine. You can not stop this machine. It is built like a tank. Its the best money I have ever spent. The only money I have ever had to put into it was for oil changes and such.

You can easily find one with low hours, on Ebay. It was a very popular model, so there are quite a few for sale. I believe they made them from 2002 til 2006 or seven. Before that they made the regular 345, also a great tractor. In 2004 I believe they sold for $7500, now you would have to spend closer to $10,000 to get something as good.

This tractor has a liquid cooled 20HP Kawasaki engine (incredible amount of power), power steering, hydraulic deck lift, and some even have a locking rear differential. With a 54" deck, I believe it weighs over 800 lbs. Like I said its a tank.

I paid $4300 for mine, when it was 2 yrs old, with 170 hrs. Today I was offered (after 6 years of use)$3800 by my JD dealer on a trade in. How can you beat that. As much as I would love to get a new 729, I just can't get myself to get rid of it. Its that good.

0731001533.jpg

mystreba

Threads
I had the exact mower you are looking at. I bought it new 6 years ago. It's a hot steamy piece of poo!!! I mow 3 acres. Sounds like a lot but they are wide open smooth easy acres. The Kohler runs great but uses a lot of fuel (roughly 1 1/2 gallons an hour). The rest of the tractor just falls apart. The mower deck has been completely rebuilt 4 times. All the rod ends, steering components are completely worn out. The machine is basicly useless at this point. I would say I put an average of $600 a year in repairs. Needless to say I replaced it with a commercial mower. I would steer clear of the throw away tractors. It won't take the abuse you will give it.

Woah! Definitely not my experience with the GT5000. It was solid as a rock. Well, except for the part about completely dying. But since I bought it used I chalked it up to poor maintenance by PO.

This definitely gives me pause. Anyone out there have experience with a newer model GT6000?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trust me, stay away from craftsman when it comes to tractors. The best tractor you can get, for what you want to spend, is a John Deere GX345. I have owned many tractors, including Craftsman, and believe me when I say that nothing (in that price range) beats this machine.

I bought mine 6 years ago and used it for everything you can imagine. You can not stop this machine. It is built like a tank. Its the best money I have ever spent. The only money I have ever had to put into it was for oil changes and such.

You can easily find one with low hours, on Ebay. It was a very popular model, so there are quite a few for sale. I believe they made them from 2002 til 2006 or seven. Before that they made the regular 345, also a great tractor. In 2004 I believe they sold for $7500, now you would have to spend closer to $10,000 to get something as good.

This tractor has a liquid cooled 20HP Kawasaki engine (incredible amount of power), power steering, hydraulic deck lift, and some even have a locking rear differential. With a 54" deck, I believe it weighs over 800 lbs. Like I said its a tank.

I paid $4300 for mine, when it was 2 yrs old, with 170 hrs. Today I was offered (after 6 years of use)$3800 by my JD dealer on a trade in. How can you beat that. As much as I would love to get a new 729, I just can't get myself to get rid of it. Its that good.

0731001533.jpg

Very clean looking, you have cared for it well. How many operating hours do you have on it? Most Deere's were way overbuilt, they last forever when well cared for and properly maintained.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I'd second the notion of looking for a nice piece of used equipment. Granted, Deere was mentioned and to be honest if I were looking for a used mower that's the first brand I'd look at simply because the one I had was rock-solid and I did way more with it than what you describe. You should be able to pick up a good used 300 or even 400 series for $3k and have some money left over for attachments...

mystreba

Threads
The best tractor you can get, for what you want to spend, is a John Deere GX345.

I went on the JD site looking at used equipment, and they had some good GX345s in the $4-5k range, but they have 42" decks - too small. One appears to have a 54" deck, but it doesn't actually say. On the new model page, it doesn't look like the 300 series even has a 54" deck option.

Back on the JD used equipment page I also see an X500 with 125 hours and a 54" deck for about the same price ($4200). How would the X500 stack up to the GX345?

Carl Bert

Threads
I went on the JD site looking at used equipment, and they had some good GX345s in the $4-5k range, but they have 42" decks - too small. One appears to have a 54" deck, but it doesn't actually say. On the new model page, it doesn't look like the 300 series even has a 54" deck option.

Back on the JD used equipment page I also see an X500 with 125 hours and a 54" deck for about the same price ($4200). How would the X500 stack up to the GX345?

No $4000 to $5000 is too much. I realize that is what a dealer would want, but as I said, you can find one on Ebay. Just do a search for a GX345 and save the search. Ebay will email you everyday when one is posted. Most come with a 48" or 54" deck

As far as the newer models. The numbers have all been changed. The GX345 is now supposed to be equal to the X520 or X540, (X500 is smaller) but I don't think the new ones are built quite as well. Thats just the opinion I got after test driving them. The new 300 series is way too small and the 700 is VERY expensive.

I just bought a Curtis cab and a snowblower for mine and its a beautiful combination. Heres another pic. Sorry the pics are so big, not sure how to correct that.

IMG_0167.jpg