Craftsman Garden Tractor purchase

Shedmechanic

Threads
I am going to buy a 1996 Craftsman Garden Tractor with 18HP Kohler engine. I was wondering if anyone on this forum owns one and can tell me of any problems with the motor or transmission on these? I have never owned a Garden Tractor, but plenty of riding mowers. I am looking forward to buying a box blade and landscape to FINALLY use on my property. Pretty excited like a child at Christmas time again. Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
What model Craftsman GT is it... ?
I can not place a Craftsman GT able to pull a box blade.
Is it equipped with a 3pt for attaching a box blade? :smile:KennyV

ChuckT

Forum Newbie
Threads
We had a Craftsman GT-something. Big Green boxy thing with a Kohler Command Twin and a 46" deck with three blades. It would take a box blade if you bougt a "sleeve hitch" (we had the hitch and a 4' disk for the hitch) and to use the blade you needed to remove the deck.

We wore out the deck and the steering bushings! It was used when we bought it and I'd say we got our $$ worth out of it.

cvt

I am going to buy a 1996 Craftsman Garden Tractor with 18HP Kohler engine. I was wondering if anyone on this forum owns one and can tell me of any problems with the motor or transmission on these? I have never owned a Garden Tractor, but plenty of riding mowers. I am looking forward to buying a box blade and landscape to FINALLY use on my property. Pretty excited like a child at Christmas time again. Thanks

benski

Threads

If it's got the Courage motor in it, they are prone to problems. My advice is be sure to run a premium synthetic oil in it, as this thing will be working hard. Congrats on your purchase!:biggrin:

Shedmechanic

Threads
Bought it and I don't recall seeing a GT# on hood. It does have a hi/lo trans in it. I haven't bought the sleeve hitch yet, i gotta save up for that one. If anybody knows what GT# this is I would appreciate the information. Here are some pics of it still in the back of my truck after picking it up earlier tonight.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 63

ChuckT

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's at least a kissin-cuzin to the one we had. If I recall correctly I got the manual from the Sears website.

cvt

Bought it and I don't recall seeing a GT# on hood. It does have a hi/lo trans in it. I haven't bought the sleeve hitch yet, i gotta save up for that one. If anybody knows what GT# this is I would appreciate the information. Here are some pics of it still in the back of my truck after picking it up earlier tonight.:thumbsup:

Shedmechanic

Threads
Thank you, but I got ALL the written information that came with it when it was brand new. I also was able to get snow blade, chains, and wheel weights included with the tractor. For the whole setup including the tractor I paid $400...I won't be able to find a deal like that for a long time. I think I did ok on this deal.:biggrin:

benski

Threads
Thank you, but I got ALL the written information that came with it when it was brand new. I also was able to get snow blade, chains, and wheel weights included with the tractor. For the whole setup including the tractor I paid $400...I won't be able to find a deal like that for a long time. I think I did ok on this deal.:biggrin:
Heck, the jewelry alone is at least half the purchase price. I think you did very well!:thumbsup::cool::licking:

benski

Threads
Find the serial and model number (probably on a tag under the seat) and publish it here. Most likely starts with 917.XXXXXXXX.:biggrin: