craftsman fires but won't run.

msaeger

Threads
The mower is a craftsman push push mower with a 6 hp Briggs and Stratton.

If I spray starting fluid in the intake or the spark plug hole the engine will run and die quickly.

If I push the primer and pull it over it does not fire and the plug is dry.

I pulled the fuel line from the carb side and drained the tank and put in new gas.

This carb looks to have no adjustments.

Any idea what to try?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean the carb out.....!

msaeger

Threads
Should I just spray cleaner into the air intake? This doesn't look like it really comes apart.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
All carb's come apart.....! post a photo if you can. and spraying cleaner into the air intake will not do the job.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a Briggs you might get lucky if you take the bolt on the bottom of the carb, this is also the main jet, and clean it good with carb cleaner. You have to be careful not the jar the float bowl loose. If you do you will then have to take the entire carb off. If you do take the entire carb off, I would get a rebuild kits and do a complete rebuild. Just my opinion, which might not be much.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're opinion is worth 100 to mine Rivets, where have you been, welcome home lad...:biggrin:

bigheaded5

Threads
I see this all the time.... its the reason 90% of mowers land on the curb for trash pick up. Not draining the gas when storing it for extended periods causes the fuel to VARNISH clogging the jets and ports. A nice carb bath in carb cleaner and a little scrubbing and a thin wire through the jets (any hole the wire will fit) will 9 out of 10 times make it run like new.

Pull carb off the mower
remove the bowel
remove the main jet
let all parts soak over night
brush parts, poke holes through with thin wire (wear gloves)
dry and re assemble and re install
add NEW GAS and start.....