Repairs Craftsman 917.256611 Won't Start

lestatvil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Craftsman 917.256611 that will not start. I ran fine previously, but the steering gears kept slipping, and I couldn't turn right. I replaced the steering gears, and upon reassembly, the mower keeps blowing fuses as soon as the key is turned to run. I have tested the ignition switch and believe it to be good. If I disconnect the power cable from the starter, it does not blow. I have tried to bypass or eliminate all other switches from the circuit with no success, and I have checked all the wires for exposed copper and the grounds. If I bridge the two large posts on the starter relay solenoid, I see sparks, but it will not start. Is it a bad relay solenoid, or is there something else that I am missing?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am thinking it is your starter but look at the thick wire going to the starter and make sure it's ok. And I would go back over every wire one more time just to make sure. Make sure you did not pinch a wire under a bolt or something.
Most time a starter will not just stop working. You will notice it going bad

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
One thing you might try to test the starter is take the wire off it and run a jumper cable to the starter and other end to the + side of the battery

lestatvil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply. I did bypass everything and just go hot from the positive terminal of the battery straight to the starter. No dice. I got some sparks at the positive battery terminal, but the starter did absolutely nothing. I'm guessing the starter needs to be replaced now, but would the starter be immediately blowing fuses before you even go to crank the mower? I was thinking that it wasn't the starter because the relay had not completed that circuit quite yet at the first click of the key turn.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some where you have a wire that is grounding out. When you put the steering back together you might have pinched a wire. Did you maybe disconnect one and put it back in the wrong spot. Or maybe one came off and is sitting on the frame grounding out

lestatvil

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only wires I disconnected originally were the plugs going to the dash assembly, the seat sensor, and the ground going to the rear of the mower, and I took pictures of everything prior to disconnecting them to ensure everything went back where it should be. I also tried relocating the rear ground to a different spot to see if it made a difference. I have double checked all the wires, and I cannot find anywhere that it might be grounding out. The fuse does not blow when you turn the key if the starter is disconnected. Are you saying the starter still sounds good?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You put one end of a jumper cable to starter the other end to the battery and all it did was spark. I would rebuild the starter or just replace it.
If you bring it to napa they can get you one for $20 to $30 cheaper than a mower shop

lestatvil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. The starter was bad, and now I can at least get it to start by jumping straight from the battery. Fuses still blow when trying to use the ignition key, so there still has to be a short somewhere. I have checked everything 4 or 5 times to no avail, but I will keep looking.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey just for fun take the small wire off the solenoid and see if still blows the fuse

lestatvil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which small wire? There are two smaller posts on the left side. The bottom one appears to be a ground with two black wires running from it, the other a white wire. I bought this mower used a few weeks ago, and it looks like someone has done some electrical wiring modifications to it.