Courage 20 Won't Crank

FroneDaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I have a 6 year old Husqvarna lawn tractor with a Kohler Courage 20 engine. Sometime last year it started getting hard to start, now it's to the point where the starter will spin the flywheel 1 revolution and then stop. If you hold the key to the crank position it will eventually do another revolution then stop & continue on that cycle. After reading through forums I learned of the automatic compression release and that it can be affected by the valves being out of spec. So far I have adjusted the valves (2 or 3 times for good measure), changed the battery & starter solenoid, checked the starter and cleaned all wiring connections. When I pull the spark plug out it will crank till the battery's dead. I'm dead set that this is a compression issue, but the valve lash is not correcting the issue. Is there any where else that anyone can point me? I'm sure that the cam lobe for the ACR could be worn or something else could be wrong internally, I just find it hard to believe that is the case being that it is only 6 years old with a little over 200 hours (if that) on it.

Thanks in advance!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just because it has 200 hours doesn't have any effect on when the compression release on the camshaft will break. Been fighting it on briggs engines for years also, so it isn't limited to just the Kohler. If you are sure the valves clearances are correct take the plug out and then turn the engine by hand and watch the valves open and close. You should see the intake valve bump off slightly just before TDC on compression stroke.

FroneDaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just because it has 200 hours doesn't have any effect on when the compression release on the camshaft will break. Been fighting it on briggs engines for years also, so it isn't limited to just the Kohler. If you are sure the valves clearances are correct take the plug out and then turn the engine by hand and watch the valves open and close. You should see the intake valve bump off slightly just before TDC on compression stroke.

The intake or exhaust? I thought it was the exhaust that will move slightly to release compression? I'll double check, but I believe I already did look for that and did not see it move. I'm guessing if it does not then that means the ACR is not functioning?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the newer engines have the compression release on the intake due to emission standards. Went and looked at the service manual and it looks like they are using the exhaust camshaft for the ACR.