Country Clipper Kohler engine identification.

user4579

Threads
Good morning All! I picked up a Country clipper commercial (model# 2203M serial# 6251) that needs an engine. It's a Kohler twin with no tags or stampings that I can find. I'm guessing it's from the late 90s or early 2000s. Is there a way to find what model it is so I can see about parts or a replacement engine?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
About the only way is to contact Country Clipper. And yes it from the 1990's. From what I can find several different Kohler CV engines were used. Or it might take tearing the engine and measuring the cylinders. Luckily most major engine parts are the same for say CV23 series.

BTW the problem you have ran into is common with Kohler engines as the decals tends to fall out after several years. It is recommend that any equipment owner record all the equipment numbers they find on their machines. I do it here as a business of repairs and it has save me several times in the last 10 years. It is good that my Auto Manager software allows the storage of these numbers.

user4579

Threads
About the only way is to contact Country Clipper. And yes it from the 1990's. From what I can find several different Kohler CV engines were used. Or it might take tearing the engine and measuring the cylinders. Luckily most major engine parts are the same for say CV23 series.

BTW the problem you have ran into is common with Kohler engines as the decals tends to fall out after several years. It is recommend that any equipment owner record all the equipment numbers they find on their machines. I do it here as a business of repairs and it has save me several times in the last 10 years. It is good that my Auto Manager software allows the storage of these numbers.
THANKS for the reply! One would think Kohler would have fixed that problem after all these years. I might try calling Country Clipper and see what they say. But it's supposed to be much warmer Thursday and Friday where I live so I might get the pressure washer out to clean the rest of the mower, looks like it has been leaking oil for a very long time. So I'll give the engine one last cleaning. The Kohler website says there should be a serial # stamped on the block but I sure can't find that. Again, Thanks for the info! Steve

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would not count on it. I just installed a short block a couple months ago and all they had was stickers. I couldn't even look-up the short block serial number on the Partners Website which is the dealer's website.

I do however personally stamp the model and serial on the blocks here as I work on them.

user4579

Threads
I would not count on it. I just installed a short block a couple months ago and all they had was stickers. I couldn't even look-up the short block serial number on the Partners Website which is the dealer's website.

I do however personally stamp the model and serial on the blocks here as I work on them.
Huh! Thanks for the info. I wonder why they stick with those stickers that come off so easy. Surely couldn't cost that much more for a metal tag. I mean you need all that info even if you want to buy a new engine. Thanks for the reply! Steve

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It sound stupid it is to cut down on costs and production time for couple things. Label can be slap on with a roller and brush where as a metal tag usually need to be riveted on.

Plus once in the field they don't give a dang if you can fix the engine or not. They can always sell you a new engine. Some of us have been the business long enough to be able to figure out fairly which engine it is base a few measurements. Even then it a major guessing game when no decals are present.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The CV22-67539 is a possible engine that was used on that model. the main concerns would be crankshaft diameter and length when looking for replacement engine. May want to check starter to see if you have the solenoid mounted on the starter or a separate solenoid for wiring purposes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well that closer than I got as I came up with CV22, CV23, and CV25 depending on deck size.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well that closer than I got as I came up with CV22, CV23, and CV25 depending on deck size.
I made the assumption that the 2204M was a 22 hp and then did a search for a CV22 using Shivvers as the OEM.

user4579

Threads
It sound stupid it is to cut down on costs and production time for couple things. Label can be slap on with a roller and brush where as a metal tag usually need to be riveted on.

Plus once in the field they don't give a dang if you can fix the engine or not. They can always sell you a new engine. Some of us have been the business long enough to be able to figure out fairly which engine it is base a few measurements. Even then it a major guessing game when no decals are present.
Well I've had a couple mowers with Kohler engines, they seem to hold up ok. Not the best engines, but if they scrimp by with something so small. Makes one wonder what other shortcuts they do.