Could I need head gaskets replaced?

Glasguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi forum members, my name is Guy and I am new here so I am just learning how this forum works so if I do something wrong please tell me. I have a cub cadet zero turn with a Briggs 22hp Vtwin OHV engine. I just did the seasonal tune up on engine and when I checked the old oil I noticed it was just alittle low so I started looking at the engine really good. I pulled the spark plugs and they were black wetish/ oily on the left side head. Right side just alittle but both were black with oil on them so I put the new spark plugs in and When I started the engine it doesn't smoke hardly at all BUT I do have oil inside my muffler because I can see some smoke where it's burning off the inside of the muffler Once the engine was warm. I also noticed where the muffler tubes bolt to the heads has oil crud around the two bolts and while the engine is running I see little bubbles of oil. I had to look really close to see this happening as it wasn't really noticeable until I got looking at it closely. I cleaned the oil that was around the muffler tube where they bolt to the head as I thought it was from my valve covers were the oil. The motor starts and runs fine. The oil was a little low when I pulled the dipstick before I changed the oil and I made double sure not to put too much oil in the engine when I added the new oil. I have no oil inside my breather/ air filter area. I have read a lot recently since I noticed this issue and what I have read leads me to believe it's the head gaskets. I pulled the valve covers and I had oil In the push rod galley which I don't know if that's normal or not. So the engine starts up with no smoke issues and runs good but I am getting oil leaking out around the muffler tube bolts that hold the muffler to the head and I noticed on the left side head (facing the engine from the back of the lawn mower) on the left side bottom of the head as the engine was running on the fin that's closest to where the gasket is I can see oil running down the fin out
towards the wheel side of the head. This is very little oil I must add because I cleaned the fins which did have old oil build up on the bottom. Also when I checked my valves while I had the valve cover off the exhaust valve was tight and I needed adjustment . I am hoping I have caught this early and can save my engine. It doesn't knock at all. Just oil loss issue. If I wasn't so particular I probably could use it like it is but if there is oil coming out from these places I know something is wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I go
Hope i said too much and confused the issue. Thanks again for any advise.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep, sure sounds likehead gaskets to me.
A fairly easy job, longest & hardest bit is cleaning all the crud off before you start.
Just one little thing to check,before you start.
Pull off the fly wheel and check the top oil seal as the action of the fan can blow oil down over the fins.
Does not explain the oil in the exhaust which is most often excessive wear in the exhaust valve guide or a blocked oil return hole causing excessive oil build up around the valve stem with the same result.

Glasguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply! If it is a worn valve giude then just changing the head gasket alone will not likely fix this issue it sounds like. I have alittle mechanical skills but when it gets into valves and valve wear I am clueless. I do know for sure that I have oil leaking down into the exhaust. Not much but enough that I can see it burning off the exhaust a little. I never knew these engines needed valve adjustment every service or atleast checked and the the last one that serviced it never told me and I know he didn't adjust the valves so this engine has only had the oil changed, oil filter and spark plugs every year for the past ten years. I don't really think the valves have ever been checked to be honest until I pulled the valve cover off to check them myself a few days ago. Live and learn as they say. I know the exhaust valve was tight which probably caused this issue. I changed the oil every year my self so I know that much was done. I am pretty sure I could change the head gasket my self but anything to do with fixing the valves other then adjusting them I really think should be done from a legit brigs service tech because I know nothing about this Although I am sure it's going to cost a small fortune to have this done and I probably should have both head gaskets done at the same time. I have had very bad luck with mechanics. its so easy for them to rip you off and you can't do a darn thing about it. Does anyone have a clue what a machanic will charge to change the head gaskets and If the valves are screwed how much will it cost to get that repaired. Just looking as to whether it would be more cost affective to buy a new engine as I seen a guy on EBay selling brand new brigs Vtwin 22hp engines for $659.00. Here it is spring and the grass is starting to grow and now this issue. It's always something. Lol do you have to have any specail tools to remove the flywheel to check that oil seal?

Glasguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I started my engine today. Started right up. No smoke at all. No missing sputtering , nothing, ever since I adjusted the exhaust valve that was tight when I checked it and adjusted it. but I still noticed just a trickle of oil On One of the fins again towards the outside left side of the left side head, out towards the wheel on the left side. When I say trickle I mean a little spec and As the engine wormed up while running the oil stopped. While the engine was running I put a paper towel in front of the exhaust to see if the exhaust would spit any oil out onto the paper towel not one spec of oil on the paper towel. I may have dripped alittle Oil onto the exhaust when I took off the valve cover and maybe that's why the exhuast was smoking alittle after I put the valve cover back on and started the engine.. Maybe? When I took the valve cover off there was oil laying In the valve cover and oil was laying in The push rod galley. Is that not normal?? All the vidoes I see show a lot of smoke when the head gasket goes bad. I just don't understand why I seen the trickle of oil on the fin after I had cleaned it off when it was cold and then Started the engine which started right up and didn't smoke at all. I let it run for 15 -20 minutes and I did see the spot of oil on the bottom of the head fin so I wiped it off and I am talking about a spec of oil, not a lot. After the engine warmed up it did not appear again. Could the valve adjustment have cured anything or do you think I have an issue which just has not reared its ugly head quite yet. Before I adjusted the exhaust valve I will say when I first started the engine it would smoke alittle but just on the start up then clear up but now after adjusting that exhaust valve , no smoke at all on start up. I put the lawn mower back In garage so tomorrow I plan on starting it cold and see if that spec of oil appears on the bottom of the head fin again and if I do see it it has to be something wrong. Just should t be leaking any oil like that. While the engine was running today I took off the dipstick and there was oil sputtering up out of the tube and alittle air pressure and steam or cumbustion was coming out of the dipstick (oil fill) tube. Is this normal on a running engine? Sorry for the questions but this just has me puzzled right now.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That sounds good.
Google "how to read spark plugs" and have a look at the photos.
In particular the the ones that are oil fouled.
Usually a blown head gasket will cause some oil fouling of the spark plugs.
I have a pensioner customer who did not want me to change the head gasket because he thought his mower was not worth it .
So for 2 years he has been removing the spark plug, cleaning it and replacing it when the engine would not fire using jumper leads from his car.
Finally he cross threaded a plug so I had to pull the head to put in an insert and thus change the gasket at the same time.
Smiles from ear to ear, Runs lke new. Cuts twice as fast, I just shake the head & smile.

Inteks are styled ( can't call it designed ) off the Vanguards but have a bad head sealing problem and a lot of them end up blowing head gaskets.
I probably to about 5 to 10 a season.
If & when you do yours please lap the head flat on a sheet of wet & dry on a sheet of glass as it will go hollow over the bridge between the cylinder & push rod tunnel.

As for tappets, Generally I do not touch them unless the engine starts to struggle when turning over or there are signs of valve lash problems.
Most mowers will go 5 or more seasone whiteout needing them touched.
\There is only so much a mechanic can do in a 90 minute service and I can easy blow 40 minutes cleanin off all the silicon some lazy bowel m ovement has plastered on bth side of the old rocker gasket inplace of replacing it like he should have done in the first place and they are unchargable minutes