Could be changing my mower...

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I was on Gumtree 10 minutes ago, and for the heck of it I typed in "mower" and selected my local area...

And up came a Honda Self Propel mower for 」50 ($100)...

But I don't have 」50, heck, I barely have 50 pence!

So, I emailed him, and asked if he'd like a straight swap with my almost brand new mower, with 4 hours.

He hasn't got back to me yet, but I think he may agree!

As, my mower is worth about 」90, so even if he didn't need the mower, he could always sell mine for a profit.

I know I could just sell mine for 」90, then buy a mower for his price, and have some money left over, but I don't want to risk loosing this one.

And to be honest, his Honda is worth about 」100 anyway!

The only issue is the belt for the SP is a bit loose, but a new belt will sort that out in no time, or cost.

What do you think ?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you should try to sell yours, for as much as you may get... and aim toward finding an electric start :thumbsup:self propelled model... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was on Gumtree 10 minutes ago, and for the heck of it I typed in "mower" and selected my local area...

And up came a Honda Self Propel mower for 」50 ($100)...

But I don't have 」50, heck, I barely have 50 pence!

So, I emailed him, and asked if he'd like a straight swap with my almost brand new mower, with 4 hours.

He hasn't got back to me yet, but I think he may agree!

As, my mower is worth about 」90, so even if he didn't need the mower, he could always sell mine for a profit.

I know I could just sell mine for 」90, then buy a mower for his price, and have some money left over, but I don't want to risk loosing this one.

And to be honest, his Honda is worth about 」100 anyway!

The only issue is the belt for the SP is a bit loose, but a new belt will sort that out in no time, or cost.

What do you think ?

You lost me at "pence":wink:
It may be a font thing, but I'm finding the Scotland currency /lingo text thing more interesting than the subject matter. If you think it's a good deal, go for it. How bad could it be?:thumbsup:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Update - He replied five minutes ago...

And the swap is on!

I've asked to see a picture, but presuming it looks alright I'll have no problems doing a swap!

What engine do you guys presume it will have ?

Or do Honda mowers have all different engines fitted, and not just one "stock" one fitted to most ?

Jetblast

Threads
Boy howdy, dadgum if y'all Scottish fellers don't talk funny, like a possum gettin' chased by a durned polecat at a corn-on-the-cob festival. :biggrin:

I think all Honda mowers have Honda engines, since they are an engine manufacturer. That's a good thing in my book.

What are you gaining from the swap? Self-propulsion? Self-propulsion is good. Tough thing to swap "nearly new" for used though. I hope it works out well for you.

Last edited:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Well, I've had a long, hard think...

And I've pretty much decided to stick with the Husqvarna Sovereign Briggs & Stratton CLASSIC XC35...

I must be gluten for punishment!

The thing doesn't start for s***, kicks back on my when it floods (which happens easily), and has a plastic deck... But it is only a month old, and I know that in the long run it will be better...

Yes, my heart wants the old Honda badly, but what happens in a few years when old age finally kills it off, and I'm left with a dead mower, needing a new engine, and/or a lot of work, when I could have kept the new mower and had a durable Briggs & Stratton that will probably out live me.

As for self propel, that would be good, but it did need a new belt, which costs around £30, so really, it wouldn't be free to swap the mowers in the long run.

Anyway, I just thought I'd better let you guys know the decision I've come to.

Husqvarna it is!

Jetblast

Threads
I'm a huge fan of plastic. When done right, it's good enough for large airplanes and it doesn't corrode or dent easily. As for the recoil you're experiencing, that can be resolved through tuning at best, or considered a strength and character builder at worst. :smile:

I think you made the right choice. Age-based wear and tear is not economically resolvable unless you have free time up the ying yang, love turning wrenches, and have a reliable parts stream. Mowers are harsh duty machines with definite time limits, so the closer you can start to zero time, the better.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I'm a huge fan of plastic. When done right, it's good enough for large airplanes and it doesn't corrode or dent easily. As for the recoil you're experiencing, that can be resolved through tuning at best, or considered a strength and character builder at worst. :smile:

I think you made the right choice. Age-based wear and tear is not economically resolvable unless you have free time up the ying yang, love turning wrenches, and have a reliable parts stream. Mowers are harsh duty machines with definite time limits, so the closer you can start to zero time, the better.
Yes, you have a very good point there.