Corroded ring terminal, battery cable

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
SN is 13A4667F118, model 667 MTD. Thanks, Star, for detailed follow up. It is starting to be clearer now. Will repeat tests and answer some of the questions you posted. Then go from there. It has cleared up now, trying to go out there again to do more tests............

PS: solenoid is new.
1708202869196.png
Items #8 are Normally open/ Normally closed safety switches. The orange, Orange/black, and Orange/White wires is the starter circuit.
Item #2 is the ignition switch

rigoletto

Threads
OK, heres what I got for readings so far, to start: Battery V is 12.1 (between the 2 posts).

With key OFF: V between the 2 heavy terminals (not the SPADE connector that has the thin wire) 11.85V.
With key ON: zero V

Key OFF: between heavy left terminal and spade connector terminal zero V. Between left heavy terminal and spade connector- 11.87V.
Key ON: Between heavy left terminal and spade connector- 0.9V.

Key ON: between ground and starter bolt: 1V and violent/rapid clicking of solenoid(?).

So far this is what I have to report. It got very dark so I could not do any further testing. Can we determine anything from these results so far?

May be a curiosity, but why is a 12V DC test light lighting up at every place I touch, and yet at places I have gotten just no V or 1 V?
Thanks, people.

pat_from_indy

Forum Newbie
Threads
People,

MTD mower turned over a bunch of time, weakly, and never started. So I cleaned off the corrosion from the positive battery cable and noticed the terminal on that red cable has ben reduced by corrosion over 26 years to about 1/2 the surface it originally had. Does this make a big difference?

It is made of yellow bronze (brass??). Need I replace with same type? Or can I use aluminum? Have yous done this before? Do I just pry apart the clamped/crimped fasterers and recrimp?

Thanks, people.
Before I spent any money on a mower that old, I would definitely figure out why it is not starting first. Could be due to the battery and cable, but could be that the engine is near the end of its life.

pat_from_indy

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, heres what I got for readings so far, to start: Battery V is 12.1 (between the 2 posts).

With key OFF: V between the 2 heavy terminals (not the SPADE connector that has the thin wire) 11.85V.
With key ON: zero V

Key OFF: between heavy left terminal and spade connector terminal zero V. Between left heavy terminal and spade connector- 11.87V.
Key ON: Between heavy left terminal and spade connector- 0.9V.

Key ON: between ground and starter bolt: 1V and violent/rapid clicking of solenoid(?).

So far this is what I have to report. It got very dark so I could not do any further testing. Can we determine anything from these results so far?

May be a curiosity, but why is a 12V DC test light lighting up at every place I touch, and yet at places I have gotten just no V or 1 V?
Thanks, people.
A charged up 12V nominal battery will normally measure about 14VDC. If your battery is only measuring 12V while connected to nothing, it is in a low charge state or failed. The rapid clicking of the starter solenoid is a symptom of electrical issues. Could be cables, could be the battery, could be the battery is not getting charged sufficiently. Do you have a battery charger? If so, hook it up to the battery and see if you can get the battery fully charged as a starting point.