Converting a HRX Self-Propel to a Manual Push Mower

HG-

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HRX self-propelled push mower. It sat in a carport for 10 years and has been exposed to sunlight and moisture. I dropped it off at my local shop for a total service. They installed a pull cord, a new spark plug, changed the oil and it started on the first pull. After replacing the corroded PTO cable, they discovered the transmission for the self-propel is shot.

Does anyone know if I can remove/disengage the transmission and make it purely a manual push mower?

Thank you
Greg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Surely you can, but have you tried engaging self propel yourself?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that is what you want to do, not hard to do. First cut the belt and remove it. If it doesn’t roll as easy as you want, take off the wheels and remove the drive gears.

HG-

Forum Newbie
Threads
Surely you can, but have you tried engaging self propel yourself?
Mark. THanks for taking time to reply. I appreciate your input.

I have not tried engaging the self-propel. The shop said the transmission bearings are shot. They quoted $375 plus labor to replace the transmission. The mower is about 24 years old. I just invested $130 in it and it needs a new set of blades. I wanted to do what I could to keep that mower in service, but the $650 they quoted me for service and repair exceeds what I consider reasonable. I will examine the transmission myself and determine if I want to replace it/repair it myself or just disengage the Self-propel.

Blessings!
Greg

HG-

Forum Newbie
Threads
If that is what you want to do, not hard to do. First cut the belt and remove it. If it doesn’t roll as easy as you want, take off the wheels and remove the drive gears.
Rivets. THank you. I was wondering if that mod were possible. I anticipated it could be done. I’m picking it up tomorrow and I will see if I can repair the transmission myself. If not, I’ll remove the belt and/or gears.

Blessings! Greg

shurguywutt

Threads
$650 sounds like highway robbery for that job. DIY!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
$650 sounds like highway robbery for that job. DIY!
$650 was probably quoted that pricey because they didn’t want to do the job. Pushing a disabled self-propelled mower is very possible, and very heavy. Really think this through long term. Push the mower around for 10 minutes, you may reconsider. Self-propelled mowers are heavier than push mowers because there are more parts.

shurguywutt

Threads
$650 was probably quoted that pricey because they didn’t want to do the job.
I wonder why and if so that is the problem with these shops. An experienced shop could complete that job in less than an hour I'm thinking.