Connecting Rod Fail

mowerguy

Threads
I just received an older Toro 6.5 Hp Super recycler push mower. The engine numbers are as follows: model: 12H802 Type:11776-B1 and code: 00081059. The guy who gave it to me said he thought the engine blew up and was clinging really bad. So I tore it apart yesterday and found the connecting rod broke around the crankshaft in two pieces. Just curious as what would have caused the connecting rod to fail and break? I am planning on buying a new connecting rod and repowering this old mower. Just not wanting to replace it and it happen again. Thanks for any help!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless it was a new unit when it failed, then cause of failure will be what technicians call "lack of lubrication failure" Which can also occur on new units if the customer doesn't put oil in the engine before starting.

DaveTN

Threads
Before you go out and buy and install a new connecting rod for it (which might fail again if the crankshaft journal is scored and doesn't have enough clearance with the rod bearing when torqued due to lack of oil when started. Best to get Plasti-Gage and test clearance first)...be sure to inspect the crankshaft for rod cap deposits on it and damage. I remember reading on here where Muriatic Acid bath for the crankshaft would remove those deposits. Don't sand on it with emory cloth or sandpaper etc. as you will scratch it etc. If the crank is scored or scratched up you'll have to replace it as it would cost way too much to pay for having a crank turned in a machine shop. From my experience, most cranks get messed up when the rod lets go. I'm surprised the rod didn't knock a hole in the block when it failed! I have put a good used crank and rod assembly in an engine from a junk mower where its piston and rings and cylinder were worn. Not usual procedure, but it's shade-tree work and wouldn't want to do it for a customer. I'd recommend either short block or part the old engine out. Hope you don't have to do anything but put another rod and cap in there. Good Luck!