Compression Release

jross

Threads
Update on the Cub Cadet 1600 resurrection. Replaced starter and battery, adjusted valves (Thanks everybody for all the help),and engine cranks, but will not fire. I think the ignition coil is bad since I removed the kill wire and it still will not fire. Once I did see a weak spark on the tester, but not since. Armature clearance is within specs and magnet is strong.

jross

Threads
I have the engine running. The mower is up in jack stands with the wheels off because I want to make sure everything mechanical is working before I invest in new wheels and tires. I shifted the tranny into forward/reverse and only the left axle turns. The right axle turns ever so slowly if at all. I didn't think to stop the left axle to see if the right axle would turn. The speed control seems to be working ok. Should both axles be turning? I can't remember when I last had a car up in the air and in gear, and if both wheels turned at the same speed. I don't think they did. If I have to replace the transaxle, further consideration about finishing this project is in the fore.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a differential in there so you can slow or stop one wheel, (necessary for turning).
Some cars have limited slip or locking differentials... :smile:KennyV

jross

Threads
Thanks to all here who have helped me get the Cub Cadet 1600 going. Drove it around the yard and it seems ok. The deck has a hole in the middle which has been welded over. I will grind the weld off and try to patch it with sheet metal if I can. The metal is from steel door cutouts which the previous owner has dumped in the back. The stuff wears well and rusts slowly, if at all, cuts and bends to contours easily. A new deck is $200, and I hit the budget limit getting it running, but maybe next spring? Thanks again to all, and to all, A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
valve adjustment are a ongoing thing with those 31 series engines. If not valve clearances it is worn cam lobes or the compression release return spring is broken or sticking on the cam shaft, I adjust about 30 of those a year, some twice the same year if they use them hard.