Coleman Generator

jono252525

Threads
I have a Coleman 5000 generator with a Tecumseh 10 HP engine model 159493X with carburation version 1003C serie: 06187CB1137
The carburator number: 5199 B6E 516 sub by 640260B.
The problem is that the engine run but the RPM is very jumpy and it makes a back fire and it also revolution up and down.
I try to increase the jetting on the main jet but it did not work.
So I replace de the carb and the spark plug and it improved on the jumpy problem but it is not running well and the RPM is not stable at idle.
It stabelized more when I put a load on the generator but RPM drops at 3200 RPM and at idle it runs between 3400 RPM and suddenly runs up to 4000 RPM.
Also the replacement carb trottle shaft is diffrent then my original cab and the Gas inlet is 90 degree. I cannot find the wright inlet with the wright trottle shaft.
See picture. 1 is like the original and 2 is the replacement.

Can you help me?

Attachments

• full.png
    full.png
    897.5 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 8

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many red flags here. First, carb 640260B is the correct carb, but because of the cost you decided to go to AutoScam and purchase an after market carb which was advertised as “THIS WILL WORK”. As you have found out, it does “Work” but not the way it should for your unit. Generator carbs are very tight, because of the narrow operating conditions. I’m guessing the your new carb is not jetted right for a generator. Second, when you say “it jumps to 4000 RPMs“, does the throttle plate just move or is the governor move forcing the throttle open. You state that the throttle is different, again leading me to believe that this carb will not work properly for a generator. Finnally, have you checked the hertz output at 3200-3400 RPMs? I’m willing to bet that it is not close to 50Hz. Being more the +/- 1.5 hertz off will burn out many pieces of equipment. Instead of showing us pictures of carbs on the internet, it would be better to post pictures of your original carb and the ope you purchased. My experience is that you tried to save money and it is now biting you in the butt. It may take buying the correct carb or finding an experienced mechanic who understands what needs to be changed on the aftermarket carb.

Last edited:

jono252525

Threads
Many red flags here. First, carb 640260B is the correct carb, but because of the cost you decided to go to AutoScam and purchase an after market carb which was advertised as “THIS WILL WORK”. As you have found out, it does “Work” but not the way it should for your unit. Generator carbs are very tight, because of the narrow operating conditions. I’m guessing the your new carb is not jetted right for a generator. Second, when you say “it jumps to 4000 RPMs“, does the throttle plate just move or is the governor move forcing the throttle open. You state that the throttle is different, again leading me to believe that this carb will not work properly for a generator. Finnally, have you checked the hertz output at 3200-3400 RPMs? I’m willing to bet that it is not close to 50Hz. Being more the +/- 1.5 hertz off will burn out many pieces of equipment. Instead of showing us pictures of carbs on the internet, it would be better to post pictures of your original carb and the ope you purchased. My experience is that you tried to save money and it is now biting you in the butt. It may take buying the correct carb or finding an experienced mechanic who understands what needs to be changed on the aftermarket carb.
Well, I guest that If I have to buy a OEM carb, then I will trash the unit because you can buy an other generator for $275.
Perfect for the planet.
Thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tecumseh carbs on 4-cycle engines are about the easiest and simplest carbs to clean and rebuild. If you would not have tried to rejet it yourself it could have been save by any good mechanic. Even though Tecumseh is long gone, I still do a half dozen every year. If you do some research you’ll probably be able to find an OEM carb for less than $75. Just don’t buy one that lists it replaces multiple carbs. This is the very reason you will that most of the experienced techs on this forum warn people not to use FleaBay or AutoScam when purchasing parts like carbs or coils. Too much junk being sold that the average guy has no clue about. We always say “BUYER BEWARE”, too many trying to take your $$$$.

jono252525

Threads
Well your info a bought the original cab that are simple repair was not the case here since a local dealer did try before me to fix it and that did not work.
So I was asking for help, not for what was not done!
Thank you again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have no idea what that guy did, but I know that I can’t remember the last time I had to charge a customer for a new carb on a Tecumseh engine. That includes the Tecumseh SnowKing engines which I still say were the best snowblower engines built. Here in Wisconsin they are like Timex watches. “THEY TAKE A LICKING AND KEEP ON TICKING”. Over 50% are abused and with a little TLC you can bring them back to life. Don’t know how much more help I could have given you??? Wish I lived close to you, because I’m willing to bet big money I can get that original carb to comeback to life. I’ve got enough Tecumseh parts and time to do it, but you don’t like my answers, so that aint going to happen.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
part of the problem is that the wrong after market carburetor was purchased. Look the throttle vane lever not even the same. Now Stens 520-956 is the correct carb but you may change the fuel inlet adapter which included in the kit.

Last edited:

jono252525

Threads
part of the porblem is that the wrong after market carburetor was purchased. Look the throttle vane lever not even the same. Now Stens 520-956 is the correct carb but you may change the fuel inlet adapter which included in the kit.
Thank you for the info Star Tech.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thank you for the info Star Tech.
Don’t give up, and try not to get offended. Everyone has different styles and approaches. When you say you “rejetted” the original carburetor, does that mean you changed jets or physically made the hole bigger?

jono252525

Threads
I made the hole bigger in the new carb pilot jet and right now, it is almost perfect.
I am trying to make a spring that will fit over the trottle rod so it will eliminate a bit of the back lash.