Coil problems

Groveman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My troybilt will not crank with the 2 kill wires hooked to the coils. If I unhook them it cranks but won't shut off. What could be the problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
Just a little thing to start with.
We have nothing to work with but your words so the actual words you use are important
Crank = revolve
Start = goes bang a few times
Runs means it goes for long enough to start cutting grass.

You have a problem with the PTO Switch , the parking brake switch or the wiring between the switches and the coil .
Until you tell us exactly which Troy-Bilt mower you have this is as much information as I can give you.
We need the numbers off the tag under the seat

Groveman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome
Just a little thing to start with.
We have nothing to work with but your words so the actual words you use are important
Crank = revolve
Start = goes bang a few times
Runs means it goes for long enough to start cutting grass.

You have a problem with the PTO Switch , the parking brake switch or the wiring between the switches and the coil .
Until you tell us exactly which Troy-Bilt mower you have this is as much information as I can give you.
We need the numbers off the tag under the seat128
The mower will crank and run fine. You can even mow with it as long as the kill wires are off the coils but won't shut off. But if the wires are on the coils it will not crank. It's a husqvarna model 128976. Serial #1C046G90210. 2006 year

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Numbers are not matching up. IF it is a Troy Bilt then it is not a Husqvarna and the serial does indicated it is a Troybilt (MTD made mower) with a 42 inch deck. Need the model number off the serial number tag or an image of the tag. Also need to know the model and type (spec) number of the engine.

Current either you have a safety switch problem or an engine electric problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
At least it runs with no connection to the coil kill wire. Be happy for that.

Now find what ever safety or dead man lever you have is grounding out the coil.

Groveman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Numbers are not matching up. IF it is a Troy Bilt then it is not a Husqvarna and the serial does indicated it is a Troybilt (MTD made mower) with a 42 inch deck. Need the model number off the serial number tag or an image of the tag. Also need to know the model and type (spec) number of the engine.

Current either you have a safety switch problem or an engine electric problem.
Sorry about the wrong info. It's a Troy-Bilt model #17AA5ABP766. Serial# 1CO46G90210

cubs fan

Forum Newbie
Threads
My troybilt will not crank with the 2 kill wires hooked to the coils. If I unhook them it cranks but won't shut off. What could be the problem?
I had the same problem, and I install a on/off switch under the seat. Put both kill wires on one side of the terminal and a ground on the other terminal.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had the same problem, and I install a on/off switch under the seat. Put both kill wires on one side of the terminal and a ground on the other terminal.
Yes that will work
No it is not a good idea
Mower wiring is very simple so there is little in the way of excuses for not repairing any electrical fault
Your work around would make the mower difficult to stop in an emergency situation & defeat the one & only safety switch that protects others should the mower run away ( and yes it does happen )
People get very blaize about mower safety because they have sample size of 1 or 2 mower to draw decisions from where as techs have a pool size of hundreds if not thousands of mowers to draw their experience from.
Everyone thinks "it will never happen to me" until it does