Coil pack spacing to flywheel?

gamecock66

Threads
I have a 22HP ELS 656 B&S 2 cylinder that I pulled the flywheel on. I had to unscrew both coil packs and now I cannot remember what the spacing is\was. Now that the flywheel and the coil packs are back on the engine will crank, run like it is on 1 cyclinder and then die after a couple of seconds. I did not think that the coils actually touched the flywheel do they??

Model # 40H7770241E

Thanks
Wade

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Air gap, between the coil legs and the flywheel, should be .010".

gamecock66

Threads
Air gap, between the coil legs and the flywheel, should be .010".

Ok I must be way out of my elimate here. I am pretty mechanical but this has me stumped!! The engine ran fine before I pulled the flywheel to look at the alternator. I put the flywheel back on lined up with the keyway and inserted the woodruf key so it could only go on one way. I adjusted the coil packs to .010 and then checked both plug wires for fire.

I can get it to putter with the choke on and continue to putter as long as I have the key turned but it never fully fires and runs on its own. It acts like it is flooded but I seriously doubt that. I have done nothing else to it other tha what I described and again the engine ran fine before pulling the flywheel.

Any Idea's????

Thanks
Wade

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If that is all you did are you sure you tighten the flywheel tight enough. If not you might of twisted the key and the engine would be out of time? If you have your air gap is too wide it will also affect the timing. Are you getting a good spark. You did hook up all the wires right?

gamecock66

Threads
If that is all you did are you sure you tighten the flywheel tight enough. If not you might of twisted the key and the engine would be out of time? If you have your air gap is too wide it will also affect the timing. Are you getting a good spark. You did hook up all the wires right?

I will recheck the torque and make sure the key is still in place. I did get good spark out of each wire.

Thanks
Wade

gamecock66

Threads
I will recheck the torque and make sure the key is still in place. I did get good spark out of each wire.

Thanks
Wade

It was the woodruff key! I guess I either did not get the flywheel tight enough or the key was already weak. Does anyone know what site it is? I bought a 1/8x1 key from Lowes and it was too small. The part number is 222698S but I cannot find the size. The old one is destroyed so I cannot match with it.

Thanks
Wade

gamecock66

Threads
Based on these numbers I found .185w x .554l x .142h, I came up with 1/4w x 1/2l x 1"H Sound right?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't use any of those keys, or you could do more damage. Go to your local small engine repair shop with your engine numbers and get the correct key. This is one part you don't want to buy aftermarket.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't use any of those keys, or you could do more damage. Go to your local small engine repair shop with your engine numbers and get the correct key. This is one part you don't want to buy aftermarket.

The key is made to break before the crankshaft or flywheel. Rivets is right about getting the right part number.