Charging Battery

shurguywutt

Threads
I have a quick disconnect wired directly to the positive terminal and chassis ground.

CC50

Threads
I have a quick disconnect wired directly to the positive terminal and chassis ground.
My idea is leave battery outside of mower on wood platform and connect tender to both posts in garage. Don’t plan on grounding it

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya'll do realize there are tens of thousands of of alarm systems that use SLA and flooded batteries like the kind in mowers that are connected to float chargers 24/7 for years. I maintained a lot of alarm systems and battery backups. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with but sometimes I feel we over think things.

Freddie21

Threads
Indoors, or outdoors, just don't want to let the battery freeze. Indoors on charge could cause out-gassing. Make sure area is ventilated.

Gord Baker

Threads
My mower is stored in unheated garage. My plan was to attach a battery tender and leave on all winter in Michigan. Am I correct in doing that?
Good plan. Check the tender often as they sometimes fail which will lead to a burst frozen battery. Disconnect the Ground (-) cable if you wish. Make sure Tender is working . You could unplug it for a couple weeks then plug it in for a couple weeks.

mgmine

Threads
I would take the battery out and take it inside for the winter and put it on the battery tender. Keep it warm and happy.

Cajun power

Threads
this question is an interesting one. I also have several batteries and machines that get stored for winter season. What I have learned is that it is cold weather that causes more premature charge state problems for batteries in storage than any other factor. So what I do is move all my batteries to my garage where the area temp is regulated...not heated the same as living temperatures, but at least to 70 degrees F.

I have a battery bench. This bench has one battery tender (electronic balanced to pulse charge). I have the battery tender on a simple timer. There is a portable smoke alarm attached about 2 feet away. The wall is concrete block and nothing flammable anywhere close. The table has a stainless sheet cover.

I have done the same thing for my hunting camp equipment. I take the batteries out and they go with me back home when I am not there. This also helps prevent theft or the occasions where "friends" are tempted to borrow my gear without asking.

Bigyard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a battery tender and want advice on if I should
A-Take Inside house and use tender
B-Leave inside garage and use tender
C-Leave inside house and attach tender to fully charge in spring

I have read Cub Cadet does not recommend leaving battery in mower to charge when mower is EFI.
I have an Enduro XT3 Cub with eletric power steering, electric 5 foot mower deck lift, and electric clutch for the mower. We also use it to run an orchard sprayer tank hooked on behind so I put a plug on the rear plate that is like a power plug socket on a car dash. We plug the sprayer into it. We also keep a 2 amp electronic battery charger plugged into it all winter in the unheated garage. Original battery lasted 3-1/2 years and hundreds of hours of use. No problems with any electrical components so far but you have to be the real judge of whether to follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter or not.