Champion XC12YC - NGK Equivalent

shurguywutt

Threads
Good evening. I have a 34" Toro Timecutter 75734 with a Kohler 7000 22HP (KT725-3097).

The manual specs Champion XC12YC plugs but after researching some NGK documents, I found the NGK BKR5E is an equivalent.

Anyone have experience running NGK's in the Kohler? Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I Now keep XC12YC's in stock because I have tried just about every plug that is supposed to be equivalent to them
None seemed to work properly
The BKR5E is the equivalent to the RC12YC and will interchange with them faultlessly
However not for the XC
Now what the actual difference between the XC & RC is I have been unable to find out but even the RC will not substitute for the RC's in the 7000 series Kohlers .

shurguywutt

Threads
Man that is annoying - especially since the XCs are more expensive and I think NGK makes better plugs overall. But this is from an automotive perspective. Thanks for the input.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Even more so as my wholesalers do not stock them so I have to pay full retail

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have replaced the xc12yc plugs with rc12yc plugs with no issue. As far as i can tell the xc plugs are designed for a longer change interval because the electrodes and a different alloy. I have not seen a difference in performance.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, best i can research the center electrode has different inductance and resistance due to the alloy used and is harder so it lasts longer but the still will foul the same as the RC plugs. I have swapped in the RC12YC plugs in a couple dozen engines and haven't seen any difference. The $2 plugs work as good as the $5 plugs.

shurguywutt

Threads
I was browsing around and noticed the Kohler equivalent Stens maintenance kit for my model uses the RC12YCs and not XCs

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
BKR5E
No experience yet. I have two waiting to go in my Gravely Pro Turn 260 (Kohler ZT740).
I really wanted the Champion XC12YC but, the NGK was all the Gravely dealer had.
I don’t see why they wouldn’t perform as well as the Champion plugs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure how true it is but "I read on the internet" that the xc plugs were designed to be a "greener" plug as they are designed to last something like 3 to 4 times longer before needing changed due to eroded electrodes. Mower ignitions are so low energy i rarely change a plug because it is worn out from eroded electrodes. Usually from fouling or just annual maintenance. I really see no advantage to the XC plugs.