Central Park steering issue

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
We will just have to wait for what the tag tells us.....

Ohsoblue92

Threads
AND THE SURVEY SAYS:........................ AYP...... Yep the little tag says AYP on it. Went over to my buddies house and changed the oil. Brigs and stratton 18 HP motor if memory serves correct. That oil ran out like it was Alaskan crude oil. Full of grit and looked quite old. Greased the front steering areas. proceeded to notice that the frame is cracked vertically on both sides right infront of the front axle yolk.(Not Good). Anyway going to get a bungie cord to hold the battery in place so it doesn't wiggle around. Looks like the mounting hardware is LONG gone for that.
IRT the steering pop noise, I looked down at the steering gears on the end of the steering shaft and when the wheel is cranked over to the right it definately pops which leads me to believe that both of those gears both on the spline and the other half curved looking gear are indeed worn.
The entire front of the mower looks to have been driven into at some point. Both of the front stabilizer bars for the plastic work look to be bent to the right and thus the entire body is leaning over that direction. Going to need a little metal fabrication to get them all straightened out. In the end we both decided this one isn't exactly a candidate to put a lot of money into. More along the lines of just a basic riding mower that will get him thru the summer and look for a better "Keeper" candidate next year. Now let the maintenance laundry list begin!!!!!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the gears are not chewed up too bad, those plastic bearings are not too expensive, just find a Poulan dealer. You could use a Husqvarna dealer, but you will pay more for the same part.

tybilly

Threads
AND THE SURVEY SAYS:........................ AYP...... Yep the little tag says AYP on it. Went over to my buddies house and changed the oil. Brigs and stratton 18 HP motor if memory serves correct. That oil ran out like it was Alaskan crude oil. Full of grit and looked quite old. Greased the front steering areas. proceeded to notice that the frame is cracked vertically on both sides right infront of the front axle yolk.(Not Good). Anyway going to get a bungie cord to hold the battery in place so it doesn't wiggle around. Looks like the mounting hardware is LONG gone for that.
IRT the steering pop noise, I looked down at the steering gears on the end of the steering shaft and when the wheel is cranked over to the right it definately pops which leads me to believe that both of those gears both on the spline and the other half curved looking gear are indeed worn.
The entire front of the mower looks to have been driven into at some point. Both of the front stabilizer bars for the plastic work look to be bent to the right and thus the entire body is leaning over that direction. Going to need a little metal fabrication to get them all straightened out. In the end we both decided this one isn't exactly a candidate to put a lot of money into. More along the lines of just a basic riding mower that will get him thru the summer and look for a better "Keeper" candidate next year. Now let the maintenance laundry list begin!!!!!!!!
a good welding shop can fix that crack probably cheap,and be stonger than it was before,it still looks like you could put a few dollars into it

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the gears are not chewed up too bad, those plastic bearings are not too expensive, just find a Poulan dealer. You could use a Husqvarna dealer, but you will pay more for the same part.

I use brass bearings $5 each. My dealer will not even sell the plastic ones.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What are those part numbers? Were those MTD or AYP?????

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What are those part numbers? Were those MTD or AYP?????

Don't know the part number I go in and ask for steering bushings. The only ones I need part numbers for are the hex bushings that mtd uses.