Carrier plate seized to drive shaft

trooper1954

Threads
Hi Guys,
Have a real problem here. Included in the photos is the drive shaft and carrier plate from a stihl wheeled trimmer. The machine hasn't been used for some time, and the bearing inside the carrier plate has seized. I've tried just about everything I can think of to break it free.....soaked 48 hours in Move it, heat with a torch, and also a puller.d as you can see in one of the photos, while using the puller it slipped off and damaged the head of the jack shaft. There's enough thread left that I hope I can still use it, but I need to get the carrier plate off in order to replace the bearing. The cost of a new jack shaft and carrier plate is almost half the cost of the machine. so I'm not feeling real fuzzy about that one:rolleyes:
If anyone has any suggestions that I haven't tried I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks.PHOTO 2.jpgPHOTO 3.jpgPHOTO 1.jpg

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
is this the bearing you are trying to remove?

PHOTO 1.jpg

trooper1954

Threads
sgkent....no...there is a second bearing below that right in the centre of the carrier plate...thats the one thats seized, and i also think the plate itself ( which is supposed to move up and down on the jack shaft to adjust the hight) is also seized.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
degrease then dump in a bucket of vinegar ( if there is no alloy bits ) for a couple of days

trooper1954

Threads
bertsmobile...thx.....just dropped it in the bucket. Will let you know.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
did you pull the top bearing off? Is the second bearing above or below the pop rivets?

trooper1954

Threads
sgkent....right on the jack shaft exactly where the rivets are but in the centre. No.....have not pulled the top bearing, but have two new bearings ready to go.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need to model number but if this is like the Husqvarna HWT Trimmers then there is no bearing, just lots of rust.

Beside the carrier plate is already damage so replace it and the shaft.

trooper1954

Threads
StarTech.....definitely a second bearing in the centre of the carrier plate...I've had it apart before.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
StarTech.....definitely a second bearing in the centre of the carrier plate...I've had it apart before.
Might be bushing but the double "D" shaft shouldn't be using a ball bearing that area. No reason for hub to spin on the shaft.