Carb Removal Help

geehaw

Threads
I have a Cyclone Rake with a 6.5 HP B & S Vanguard engine and I want to remove and clean the carb (Part # 84004885). Can someone give me the removal process? Everything seems to be covered up even after I removed the shrouds and air cleaner. Thanks for any help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I remember that carb, there are two long bolts going through the carb body into the intake manifold. If I’m right it takes a five mm socket to remove them. If you would post the engine numbers we could probably give you more help, otherwise we are just guessing.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I remember that carb, there are two long bolts going through the carb body into the intake manifold. If I’m right it takes a five mm socket to remove them. If you would post the engine numbers we could probably give you more help, otherwise we are just guessing.
I am thinking more like the Honda stacked component configuration. Been a few months since I did that exact carb on a Vanguard 10HP That is the exact carb that I had on backorder for a year. The fuel shutoff and kill switch is part of the carb. When you shut off the engine is also shuts off the fuel.

With the air cleaner housing removed should be able to disconnect the two wires on the kill switch, and then remove the fuel line from the carb, making sure that you drain the tank before hand or have some way to block the end of the fuel line from draining, and then slide the carb out and with a little finesse turn the throttle shaft on the carb and lift the throttle link straight up after clearing the linkage locking finger on the top of the throttle shaft.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
photos really help. They will also help you make sure you put it back the same way it came off, and with the throttle linkages in the correct spot.

geehaw

Threads
I think you have it right. The two long bolts have what looks like the shape that a VERY small socket would fit. Of all my tools I do not have a 5 mm socket. I will find one and try that. Thanks for the help. I will post the result later.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can’t remember, but it might also be a small Torx socket.

geehaw

Threads
I think you have it right. The two long bolts have what looks like the shape that a VERY small socket would fit. Of all my tools I do not have a 5 mm socket. I will find one and try that. Thanks for the help. I will post the result later.
I went to one of my other tool boxes and did find a set of VERY small sockets that I did't know I had and it took a 4 mm socket to loosen those bolts. Pretty good memory, Rivets! Thanks to you and everyone who replied.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can’t remember, but it might also be a small Torx socket.
For future they are E-Torx sockets. And most of the Briggs using these for carburetor are E5 size. This E5 is the external socket version of T20 internal bit.

Now the these screw head looks just the T20 when it is view from the end and not hexagon shape.