Carb linkage question

afoulk

Threads

Heres a pic of the carb linkage on the 3.5hp Briggs on my 78 Snapper self propelled mower. I just wanted to see if you guys could tell me if everything is kosher with it? The spring linking the throttle cable linkage to the actual throttle seems a little odd to me. I was curious because it starts and runs fine, but if i back the throttle lever back close to half way, it will shut off like its running out of fuel. If I go back to about 1/4 throttle with the lever, it hits the kill switch and dies instantly. Is this normal? The pic was taken with the lever at full throttle/start (throttle cable is in the far left of the pic).

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The linkage is bent, should be replaced, but could also be straigtened out a bit if you are careful, and need to be flipped 180 degrees. the hook end goes in the governor arm, and the Z end goes in the throttle lever on the carb. Reset governor spring accordingly for correct max engine speed.

afoulk

Threads
how do I tell when its running at the right rpm? just kinda know by the sound of it?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will need a tachometer to set the RPM. Turning the linkage around will make a big difference in engine speed to will have to be adjusted. What size blade do you have and I can look up the max RPM for your blade length.

afoulk

Threads
I'd have to check. Its a Snapper with a 21" cast aluminum deck. Model # V212P.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Right of the top of my head, 3100 is the max RPM for a 21" blade mower.

afoulk

Threads
well I got a few minutes to work on it yesterday. removed the fan shroud/cover and cleaned the cooling fins out behind the gas tank. got the governor linkage off, straightened it out, got it on the right way, and then found that the arm the spring attatches to on the lever that has the throttle cable on it was tweeked. I got that bent back to where it should be and then found that the spring that was on it is to short, so i'll try getting the correct one today. I got the spring on and it was pulling that hard on the throttle that even with throttle cable set to off, the throttle blade was still being held open by the spring and the governor vane was pretty hard to move.