Carb getting to much fuel??

drhess

Threads
I have searched the forum and found many similar posts but not exact and i have tried many of the recommendations to other posts with no help so i am posting my problem and will try not to leave any details out, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Have a 2005 JD L111 with Briggs and straton 20hp intek engine, bought used and it has ran fine all summer long until the last time i mowed when it died. It would only start and run with the choke on, but not run good. I found that the fuel solenoid was not working and replaced that. Now it will start but only run at idle and blows white smoke. i pulled the carb off and cleaned it, put it back on, same problem. So i got a rebuild kit and new float and pulled the carb off again and cleaned and rebuilt with new needle, float and gaskets. Also changed the fuel filter and put in new battery. Guess what, same problem.....If i start it and pinch the fuel line off just right the engine will run perfect, let off on the fuel line and the carb floods and runs like crap.

Other than buy a new carb i dont know what else to do...It has good compression, good spark, good fuel and fuel pump. air filter is new.

Any help or suggest?????

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model, type, and code off the engine so we know what engine that you have. Could still be a carb problem, but without knowing the specs of the engine it will be hard to pin down.

drhess

Threads
It is a Briggs and Straton Intek 20 hp, 406577-0139-E1 is that the number you are asking for?

drhess

Threads
these numbers are also on the engine 050511-YG

garnder

Threads
check the dc voltage going to the solenoid a lack of voltage can cause the solenoid not to work properly causing the carb to flood check with your parts dealer for the correct voltage

drhess

Threads
i will check the voltage but isn't the solenoid either open or closed? Its not a fuel regulator is it? If i unplug the solenoid while it's running it will die which tells me that it closes with lack of power?? Is it possible that i got the wrong solenoid and it is letting to much fuel in. When i bought the new one the guy just held it up to my old one and said it looked like the same one....Which it did.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

drhess

Threads
thanks for the reply and the manual, none of the carbs in the manual are the one i have but there is some good info there. As i stated above, yesterday i had the carb disassembled, cleaned and installed a new float and needle so i don't think it's dirty. From what i can tell there is only one way to install the float and needle....this carb has no adjustments on it and from what i can tell the only way to remove the jets is to remove the welch plugs?? But i sprayed cleaner through every orifice i could find and none were plugged.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure that the float level is correct? When the carb is inverted, it should be level. Also, next next time you have the carb off, with the float bowl off, invert it and see if you can blow air through the fuel inlet with your mouth. The needle should not allow any air to go through. It would not be the first time I have seen a new needle and seat fail. Also, when you say "blows white smoke" is that all the time, both idle and high speed, only when you accelerate, under load? White smoke is normally an indication of water in the fuel. A rich fuel condition would be indicated by black smoke. We may have to look at other possibilities than the carb.

drhess

Threads
I will pull the carb off again and check the float, and will try blowing through it and see if the needle is sealing properly and report back.

I did find the parts bag that the solenoid came in and verified that the part number is correct.

It blows white smoke when i start it, it won't run above idle. At idle it runs bad, and if i try to advance the throttle it will die. Also it never blew any smoke until the solenoid stopped working and I replaced it. It ran perfectly up until that point. I am thinking it is something that I induced when i changed the solenoid and cleaned the carb. But this carb is so simple i can't see how i messed it up???? the needle that was in the carb was plastic with a rubber tip and the one that came in the rebuild kit was brass with rubber tip also in the rebuild kit were to round pieces of foam??? I can't imagine these were to go in the carb some where but i also don't know why they were in the kit at all??? Any thoughts?

thanks again for trying to help.