Cant get engine to rev up under load on Craftsman WeedEater

MOmilkman

Threads
  • / Cant get engine to rev up under load on Craftsman WeedEater
Hi guys,
Ive had a problem with my weed eater for some time now and I can not stand it anymore. Its driving me crazy and I have to get it fixed.
The model is Craftsman 358.791070 - 32cc 2 cycle Weedeater

It will idle fine, no problems there. But when you give it a gas to try to rev it up to trim something it will immediately try to die (or will die). Gas is only about 2 months old. (manual says use gas no older than 30 days but I call BS on that)

Under the troubleshooting section of the manual it says-

Trouble
Engine will not accelerate, lacks power, or dies under a load

Cause
1 Air Filter Dirty
2 Spark Plug fouled
3 Carb requires adjustment
4 Carbon buildup on muffler screen
5 Compression low

I dont believe it is 1, 2 or 4. All those have been checked or replaced since problem started.

I dont think its 5 but not 100% sure.

I think its 3 but not sure what to adjust.

In the picture you can see the carb on the weedeater. I know the one screw (largest one at bottom) is the idle screw. Other than that no idea.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 21

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi guys,
Ive had a problem with my weed eater for some time now and I can not stand it anymore. Its driving me crazy and I have to get it fixed.

It will idle fine, no problems there. But when you give it a gas to try to rev it up to trim something it will immediately try to die (or will die). Gas is only about 2 months old. (manual says use gas no older than 30 days but I call BS on that)

Trouble

Cause
1 Air Filter Dirty
2 Spark Plug fouled
5 Compression low

I dont believe it is 1, 2 or 4. All those have been checked or replaced since problem started.

In the picture you can see the carb on the weedeater. I know the one screw (largest one at bottom) is the idle screw. Other than that no idea.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Buy a new carb. Or a new weedeater....

impalass

Threads
Hi guys,

Trouble

Cause
1 Air Filter Dirty
2 Spark Plug fouled
5 Compression low

Can anyone help?

Thank you
You need to buy a special screwdriver to adjust the mixture screws.
Mine takes the 'Pac Man' type, so-called because the needle valve head is just round with a pie-shaped chunk out of it. After receiving the tool, I had the thing straightened out in two minutes.
After getting it started, use it until it's completely warmed up. I use mine with a blower attachment which is why I'm using it in the fall/winter. Leave it idling and put the tool on the LH valve, or Lo-speed, and turn it left to enrich the the start/idle circuit. Turn it until the engine speeds up and then begins to slow down. Now give it full throttle and do the same to the Hi-speed side. Open it up until it begins to '4-cycle' then close it a little to get your top end back.

MOmilkman

Threads
Thx impalass. I'll have to look into buying that special screwdriver. I noticed those two adjustment screws at the top in the picture and wondered if that played into it. I'll let you know it turns out

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
MO, search in this forum for the diy and adjustment of your machine. Look for "trimmer speed and spark tool" I have a 31 cc unit about 6 mos old and both lo and high speed circuits required adjustment. Save yourself $25.

MOmilkman

Threads
MO, search in this forum for the diy and adjustment of your machine. Look for "trimmer speed and spark tool" I have a 31 cc unit about 6 mos old and both lo and high speed circuits required adjustment. Save yourself $25.

Thanks motoman! Will do!