Cannot find neutral

Threads
I have aquired a Murray Select riding mower with an 18.5 Intek..
Model 33R7770003G11411..
Model on HOP sticker is #960440008..
It also shows to be a model MS18542.. CONFUSING!!
Well it needs a compression release and I’ve already recently change a cam in a different intek motor..
I picked up the tractor and the gear shifter is a miss and the the bottom of the shifter is a linkage to the transmission.. there is a turn buckle taking the place of the linkage..
I can’t get it to roll.. not sure where neutral is I’ve tried repeatedly hacking the shifter back and forth sounding and looking like I’m changing gears, but I can’t find neutral.. I tried the first shift pouring on the trans by hand.. can’t move it by hand or screwdriver..
The witre that you pull to “(release??”) / unlock the rear end moves the lever it connects to when the brake is set.. won’t roll.. release the brake and the lever with the wire closes.. (won’t roll)
Hold the lever out and take the bake off.. (won’t roll..
Help..

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Here is the service manual for the transmission.

https://services.generaltransmissions.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/service-manuals/39008-D1 RS800 P.pdf

And the model number is not confusing when you consider that the Murray mower was made by Husqvarna.

Model #: 33R777
Briggs and Stratton
What year and condition is this mower in? Not sure what to tell you on transaxle issue, except to say get a good flashlight and look around the entire transaxle at the rods, springs, etc. and try to determine anything that looks suspicious.
How do you know it is a broken compression release mechanism on camshaft? Did you check for the “bump” at the valves while slowly turning engine by hand?

Threads
Model #: 33R777
Briggs and Stratton
What year and condition is this mower in? Not sure what to tell you on transaxle issue, except to say get a good flashlight and look around the entire transaxle at the rods, springs, etc. and try to determine anything that looks suspicious.
How do you know it is a broken compression release mechanism on camshaft? Did you check for the “bump” at the valves while slowly turning engine by hand?
It’s in fair condition..
it’s def a compression release problem.. you can hand turn past the spot where the release should have let it turn over past and it will start, but it will only turn over by starter to the point that the compression release should let spin past to start..same thing happened my 33R 707 and a new cam fixed that one..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
2015 model based on partial engine serial number.

First make sure all debris is remove the top side of the CVT transaxle. and Test.

Then you can try turning the nut on the inversion rod in about one turn. This should offset for some the wear of the plastics. May or may not work.
1708087115857.png

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
It’s in fair condition..
it’s def a compression release problem.. you can hand turn past the spot where the release should have let it turn over past and it will start, but it will only turn over by starter to the point that the compression release should let spin past to start..same thing happened my 33R 707 and a new cam fixed that one..
It is usually the valves needing adjustment, not a broken compression release. You would need to remove valve cover, and very carefully watch the valve movement as you turn the engine by hand, and watch for the slight bump on one valve. This is the only way I know to truely accurately test. I have done many valve adjustments over the years, and few camshaft replacements due to a broken compression release.

As far as removing the transaxle and cover for neutral issue. That would be a big job. You have to remember this mower is probably worth say $500 bucks working 100%.