Broken magnet on flywheel Q

Threads
I have a 21 hp vanguard....The flywheel has a small piece of one of the magnets broken. I ordered a new flywheel from ebay and the seller hasn't and doesnt look like he is going to ship it. Anyway....Question is....Can I fix the one magnet or better yet......would the engine run if I just put the old flywheel back on with the small corner broken on one magnet? I bought a new alternator.....Am willing to buy a new flywheel if the one from ebay falls thru. I have opened a complaint thru ebay, dont wanna buy another one and then the one from ebay show up too.... Grrrrrr. Can i use my old flywheel....or can I replaced just the magnet? And if so....Is there a specific magnet I must use...other than the ame size? thx

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
First of all remember that the flywheel is spinning very fast. So think about balance would be the first thing .Next would be you don't want anything flying off the flywheel like a magnet or it could do damage. Myself I wouldn't try it but that is me, so I say go for it and I hope it works for you.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The magnets on the outside of the flywheel are for spark and correct spark timing, the magnets on the inside are for the charging system. You need to know exactly what flywheel you need and from the numbers on your engine you can go to the Briggs website and find the parts manual for your specific series and spec engine and determine what part number flywheel you need.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you put up a pic of the underside of your flywheel?

briggs

Threads
I have a 21 hp vanguard....The flywheel has a small piece of one of the magnets broken. I ordered a new flywheel from ebay and the seller hasn't and doesnt look like he is going to ship it. Anyway....Question is....Can I fix the one magnet or better yet......would the engine run if I just put the old flywheel back on with the small corner broken on one magnet? I bought a new alternator.....Am willing to buy a new flywheel if the one from ebay falls thru. I have opened a complaint thru ebay, dont wanna buy another one and then the one from ebay show up too.... Grrrrrr. Can i use my old flywheel....or can I replaced just the magnet? And if so....Is there a specific magnet I must use...other than the ame size? thx

I would not use the old one it will damage the engine it will not balance properly and it will tear the oil seal out and damage the crank and rod plus it could throw the rest of the magnet and hit u

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, it sounds like he may have just lost a chip off of one of the alt magnets, which is why I was wanting to see what he was talking about. One chip out of a corner of 20 plus little magnets, it is worth a look.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
DSCN6030.jpgHere is a pic off of an Intek flywheel, one big hunk of iron. I wouldn't have any qualms about using this if it had a chip off one of the magnets, depending on the
chip of course, which is why I requested a pic.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would be concerned about why the magnet chipped, where the chip went, and if it damaged the stator or anything else under the flywheel.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would be concerned about why the magnet chipped, where the chip went, and if it damaged the stator or anything else under the flywheel.

Yeah, he said he replaced the stator, with the flywheel off, the crime scene is quite limited, so pics are always helpful....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't get me wrong, I almost always err on the hyper-safe side. But with the weight/balance issue of this flywheel, it would have to be more than a corner of a magnet
to be a problem. Yes, we have all worked on engines, and that friggin small-arse screw drops down into the engine shroud while you are doing a simple repair, and the
only way to retrieve said screw is to pull the engine and tear off the covers and likely the flywheel..............

Naw, you/I will just go to our {Junk} drawer and find another screw.......

That is what happened to the magnet the first time......

Just have been there......

Hell most of the stuff I fix can be blamed on the earlier mechanics!!!!!