Broken engagement lever; John Deere LA120

Atom

Forum Newbie
Threads
This mower is 3 or 4 years old and has about 100 hrs on it. Today when I pushed forward on the engagement lever it broke free. When I looked inside, I could see the spring hanging loose, the cable with eye attached hanging free, and the end of the shaft with a pin in at where the cable had been attached. I found a washer lying on the ground. I'm trying to figure out how this goes back together, and if I have all the parts.

Thanks for your help.

Atom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nevermind, I found it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK Atom°, you're not getting off that easy. Tell us JD owners more in case ours does that. Did it just come apart and nothing actually broke or did some molecules fall apart ?

Atom

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK Atomー, you're not getting off that easy. Tell us JD owners more in case ours does that. Did it just come apart and nothing actually broke or did some molecules fall apart ?
Sorry. At the end of the deck engagement lever/shaft there is an arm which was made of cast aluminium. The casting simply broke. I found the part number (GX21041) on line and bought the replacement at my local dealer (about $5). You can see a picture of it here John Deere Model LA120 Lawn Tractor Parts, Page 2. The new part is made of steel, so JD has realized the original part was bad design. Very easy to replace.

I really like this mower, and I'm sure it'll being doing the job for years to come.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry. At the end of the deck engagement lever/shaft there is an arm which was made of cast aluminium. The casting simply broke. I found the part number (GX21041) on line and bought the replacement at my local dealer (about $5). You can see a picture of it here John Deere Model LA120 Lawn Tractor Parts, Page 2. The new part is made of steel, so JD has realized the original part was bad design. Very easy to replace.

I really like this mower, and I'm sure it'll being doing the job for years to come.

Thanks
SeniorCitizen