Broken down mower

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
hope I do not sound like a "know it all" or a wise guy.

not at all ... you are going to fit in here great, any one that adds cheers in their replies Can't be at all bad...:thumbsup:
This is normally a very easy going bunch... most everyone rarely gets upset... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
My neighbor gave me a old self propelled mower that his brother gave him for free. I was originally going to use the deck off of it but I bought two me mowers instead. I still would like to fix it though. The mower has sat outside, without a spark plug, for who know how long. It isn't seized, but it has no pull cord, and no blade. The first question that I have is it worth it to tear it down and try to get it running again? If I was to do this how would I change the pull cord? It looks like it is riveted down. I have no clue as to what year the motor is, or even what brand it is. I would imagine that the mower is about 15 years old, and the engine is probably about four horsepower. So is it worth it to fix it? I would like a little challenge.

I would find another challenge...no spark plug through the winter or longer? You could get it running but what condition is the cylinder in? Just because it's not siezed doesn't mean it's not damaged, Before you do anything get an idea of what kind of compression is left or just find a another mower.

grass cutter

Threads
yes,that is correct ,thank you for pointing that out a prob would have not thought about it too much myself, but If you are talking about small b@s engine such as a 3.5-5 hp. then it it is also a cooling fin because what looks like the fly wheel on top actually only hold the pin or key in place. cheers. that is what i figure. I hope I do not sound like a "know it all" or a wise guy.

Yeah the blade for a mower is a flywheel. I'm going to tear it down this weekend. Stupid rivits are going to take a while:thumbdown:

grass cutter

Threads
I would find another challenge...no spark plug through the winter or longer? You could get it running but what condition is the cylinder in? Just because it's not siezed doesn't mean it's not damaged, Before you do anything get an idea of what kind of compression is left or just find a another mower.

Yeah, rain, snow, who knows what else. Cylinder seems to have some dirt in it, or maybe some carbon; hard to tell.