Broken Battery Terminal Fix

natenkiki2004

Threads
Figured I would post this in case anyone else had a similar issue. The fix for me was about $8 in hardware.

I was trying to disconnect a battery from a riding mower recently and the screw had become so rusted/corroded onto the lead terminal that when I tried to loosen it up, the terminal (poor design in my opinion) just ripped right off. Come to find out later, the battery was perfectly healthy and holds a decent charge, 12.57v over 2 days. So, instead of dropping anywhere from $70-$120 on a new battery, I got to looking online and found the answer; hanger bolts. I got more info and headed down to the hardware store, got some 1/4" hanger bolts, brass nuts and copper washers. Got home, cut the terminal off flat and realized there was about 3/4" solid lead left to drill into. I went in about 1/2" with a 3/16" drill bit and cut the hanger bolts accordingly. Smeared some di-electric grease on the bolt and threaded it in. To top it off, I mixed up some JB Weld and covered the top so the bolt wouldn't untwist and corrosion wouldn't form around the fresh lead. I now have nice new wingnut terminals that are corrosion-free and I can start chasing other electrical gremlins.

Here's a poor picture of the finished product, if anyone is interested I can get a better picture:
Pic_1009_071.jpg

Here's where I got the idea from:
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?15933-Broken-battery-terminal&p=118966#post118966
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?15933-Broken-battery-terminal&p=120136#post120136

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Figured I would post this in case anyone else had a similar issue. The fix for me was about $8 in hardware.

I was trying to disconnect a battery from a riding mower recently and the screw had become so rusted/corroded onto the lead terminal that when I tried to loosen it up, the terminal (poor design in my opinion) just ripped right off. Come to find out later, the battery was perfectly healthy and holds a decent charge, 12.57v over 2 days. So, instead of dropping anywhere from $70-$120 on a new battery, I got to looking online and found the answer; hanger bolts. I got more info and headed down to the hardware store, got some 1/4" hanger bolts, brass nuts and copper washers. Got home, cut the terminal off flat and realized there was about 3/4" solid lead left to drill into. I went in about 1/2" with a 3/16" drill bit and cut the hanger bolts accordingly. Smeared some di-electric grease on the bolt and threaded it in. To top it off, I mixed up some JB Weld and covered the top so the bolt wouldn't untwist and corrosion wouldn't form around the fresh lead. I now have nice new wingnut terminals that are corrosion-free and I can start chasing other electrical gremlins.

Here's a poor picture of the finished product, if anyone is interested I can get a better picture:
Pic_1009_071.jpg

Here's where I got the idea from:
Broken battery terminal
Broken battery terminal - Page 2

Good job nate.

And for the other style of battery terminals I have a method that doesn't use a bolt.:biggrin:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/general-mower-discussion/2085-about-12-seconds-no-tools.html

chance123

Threads
Gotta be awfully careful when drilling into a battery. Many drills spark around the brushes. Batteries give off hydrogen gas through the vents in the caps. I had a 6v golf cart battery explode in my face. I wasn't injured, but there was sulfuric acid everywhere.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Dang! Yea, I did try to be safe, I drilled outside in the open with a slight breeze and did it slowly with all the vent caps securely closed. It was also a couple days after I fully charged the battery with the caps off so there was no built up pressure. I was wearing glasses as well, I've heard plenty of those horror stories.

It's also very critical to know how deep you can safely drill into the lead posts. On my battery, it has a clear side so I was able to hold it up to the light and measure the post which was 3/4". I marked 1/2" on the drill bit and didn't go any deeper, in fact it was probably a pinch less than 1/2".

Now that the JB Weld has cured, this battery is as good as new :)