Threads
0263-E1
031229YG

Turns over fine when sparks plugs are removed
Camshaft doesnt have compression release on it
Already has a new starter
Battery has 12v and 12v load
valves adjusted to .004 to .005
Someone on facebook group page said bad camshaft but not following how it could be bad camshaft since theres no compression release.
Im down to replacing the cylinderheads unless theres some else im missing here.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bad camshaft lobes are a possibility but easily check for by comparing rocker movement. They should be equal for both intake and exhaust. Also check for a sheared flywheel key which would ignition timing problems.

ESully

Threads
Could you do a compression test? What do the spark plugs look like?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bad camshaft lobes are a possibility but easily check for by comparing rocker movement. They should be equal for both intake and exhaust. Also check for a sheared flywheel key which would ignition timing problems.
Flywheel key is good. I removed both heads. Exhaust valve on cylinder #1 is catching/sticking when i open it my hand while valves still attached to the head.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could you do a compression test? What do the spark plugs look like?
Both heads been removed. When customer dropped mower off they to keep turning it on/off to get it to start. Came with deck belt issues. Now it wont even start for me. Spark plugs are normal.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is what I think Star Tech is talking about. Note the lobe closest to the gear.

Attachments

• lobe.JPG
    lobe.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 7

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is what I think Star Tech is talking about. Note the lobe closest to the gear.
Yes I understand. Both valves on both heads opened and closed the same before removing the heads. I guess i have to open it up and visually look at the camshaft and measure the lobes and compare to what the briggs spec is for this engine before replacing the heads.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was there a buildup of carbon on the heads?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I read you correctly, sounds like an overheat condition. Valves and guides got hot. You said exhaust valve (hot potato) was sticking.

Block and cooling fins clean and clear of all grass, oil, grit and bugs? I mean all the way around each cylinder, behind mufflers and such. Clean as in clean. Clean as in a new engine clean.