Briggs Vibration Tach

charlie-50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any one out there know the proper method for using the pn#19200 briggs vibration tach . i e placement on different style motors .and what to look for after placing in correct spot?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had a vibe tach for years, in fact a few of them as they get lost. They work fine on single cylinder engines and opposed twins but not on V twins. I recall a mech in the 50s using one on an opposed twin Zundapp motorcycle. I usually place it on the air filter cover or a flat spot big enough and where you or it won't get caught in something nasty.
You need to use it some to get a feel for how it works. Basically, when the spring strap is vibrating at it's widest sweep as you turn the dial, it indicates the RPM on the scale.
With the price of lazer tachs as low as $15, they are the best provided you can stick a piece of reflective on the flywheel and be able to see it with the lazer from the tach.

Last edited:

panabiker

Threads
For temporary measurement of engine speed, I use my Android phone which has an accelerometer (as in most smart phones). Works reasonably well. I attach it to the plastic cover part of the engine with Velcro tapes. If I see a laser one for $15, I will get it. I saw one in Harborfreight for something like $30.