Briggs valve keeper???

llphil77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a B&S 28N707 1135-E1 15HP vertical. Motor lost compression, I pulled valve cover and saw valve was no longer attached to valve spring collar. I found what looked like a valve stem cap, fits on top of valve, but found no typical valve keepers, looked at top of valve and all seems normal/as it should. Removed spring collar from spring and it does not appear to be a typical cap that uses two separate keepers. I know this engine has never been apart. Did B&S use any different set up for spring collar/keepers? Part # calls for typical set-up....which this does not look like. If they did use something different, could you give me the part number? Thank You

llphil77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mr Rivets, yep that is what I found also when I looked up the parts using the engine model/code. However, the actual part inside the engine is not like that, it does not use two separate loose keepers like every other engine in the world, I have a spring collar that slips over the valve stem and then locks into place. I cannot find the part number for this spring collar. I tried to retrofit the item you referenced, but the relief on the valve stem is not correct for the keepers. I attached a pic of my bad collar. If anyone out there knows this part number.....and the rest of the part numbers I will need to re-do the head correctly please provide them, it will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.JPEG
    IMG_3119.JPEG
    583.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3120.JPEG
    IMG_3120.JPEG
    578.9 KB · Views: 5

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a look at these two valve keepers. Which one did you find in your engine?
I’m betting the washer you found is the one WITHOUT the slot, just round hole. If I’m correct then you cannot replace that washer with the one with a slot. To install the keepers I first posted you must get the spring fully compressed, install washer, and then install the two keepers. They will fit into the slot or groove on the valve stem. I apply a small amount of grease to each keeper to hold it in place until I release the pressure on the spring, which will then allow the washer to hold the keeper in place.
Section 6 of this manual will help you under what I’m talking about. http://www.tuks.nl/WFCProject/img/E...210-Briggs-Stratton-Service-Manual-L-Head.pdf

Last edited:

llphil77

Forum Newbie
Threads
My engine has the slotted keeper #692194. When I pulled the valve cover and saw the ex spring loose, I looked everywhere for the 2 missing keepers, never finding them. Then I looked closer at the collar and saw it was slotted. When I looked up the part # I kept finding the standard type, like you originally recommended......but that's not what my motor had. Also, my valve stem keeper relief is slightly radiused at the valve end and squared at the stem end preventing the standard type keepers from working, but the slotted one works like it should. I found a junk engine that had the same type keeper so I stole it and it installed perfectly and engine runs again. However, it is worn and I should get a new one (along with a couple rockers and valve caps), hence my needing the part #. which you have thankfully provided. So, any idea what engine I should look up to find the correct part numbers? This engine is in a Sabre 1538HS lawn mower. Thank you again for all your help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are your are you sure of model number? Could it the 28M707-1135-E1 L-head instead of the 28N707-1135-E1 OHV engine? Please verify if OHV or a L-head (side valve) engine. JD did use both OHV and L-head on that mower. Never seen anything other than the two piece valve keepers on an OHV engine.

If it is 28M then the intake valve did use a keyhole retainer but still has standard keepers on the exhaust valve. And usually with keyhole keeper when they fail the valve fails too. I have the stem end completely worn off.

If 28M intake valve keyhole keeper is PN 690656 which for the 5/16 valve stems. The 692194 is for 1/4 valve stems.

Now what someone might have done was to change the exhaust valve out with one that uses the same keeper. But that would have been someone too lazy and too cheap to use the correct parts.

llphil77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, it is possible I made a mistake. But, I took the model, type, and code number from the engine itself, and it is absolutely an OHV. I did not disassemble the intake to inspect, but I believe it had the same set-up, I also believe the stem was 1/4, these beliefs are just that, not 100% fact. I can inspect my parts motor since it is disassembled, it had the same model number but different type number. Also, I do not believe this engine was ever fooled with before now, my dad bought it new and I got it from him. Actually I am amazed it has lasted this long which is why I was considering a complete rebuild this winter....hence needing a correct parts list, since the 28N707 list is clearly showing a different part in this case. If you need any other info or pics just let me know and I'll try to provide

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Maybe we dealing with an experimental engine of Briggs then they finally settle on what is in the IPL. It wouldn't be the first time for Briggs not to provide all the correct info.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Star on this one, that something doesn’t make sense. Do you have a picture of the keeper washer you found in the valve cover and the exhaust valve? Valves which use the collar style keeper normally have a valve keeper slot than those with a self locking keeper. What style keeper is on the intake valve?

Last edited:

llphil77

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the bad part that I replaced with one from parts motor, I will try to get pic of the valve Sat. The valve stem did not have a groove like I would have expected for a slip on keeper, it had a typical relief area for two piece keepers BUT, shoulder closest to valve was slightly radiused, not a sharp 90, top was a sharp 90.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.JPEG
    IMG_3119.JPEG
    583.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3120.JPEG
    IMG_3120.JPEG
    578.9 KB · Views: 1