Briggs Stratton rocker stud hole stripped

cbr7380

Threads
Briggs stratton 18.5 intek The top rocker arm stud hole has stripped out..Tried a helicoil and loctite but it has vibrated loose.. The hole has an open back to it,meaning the hole doesn't go into the head I was wordering if i could use some kind of locknut on the backside? Thanks in advance

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post engine numbers: Model xxxxxx, Type xxxx, Trim xx, Code xxxxxxxx, thanks Mark

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Think about it...I don't think the stud is going to be long enough to even try it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then the nut you want to use is a center deform thread lock nut. But have you consider a complete used head instead, I seen one for around 65 usd on eBay.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
or try cleaning it again and use red or green Loctite. Also there are other thread repairs that would have worked better in that instance.

or

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was trying to avoid this thread however if the stud backed out then the helicoil backed out then the head has gone soft from overheating
So it either needs a new heat treatment which will cost two times the price of a complete new head or just plain replacement
If it has gone soft, the next thing will be the seat or the guides shifting .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was trying to avoid this thread however if the stud backed out then the helicoil backed out then the head has gone soft from overheating
So it either needs a new heat treatment which will cost two times the price of a complete new head or just plain replacement
If it has gone soft, the next thing will be the seat or the guides shifting .

I was thinking about mentioning that. When aluminum overheats it gets soft. We used to see it all the time on aluminum heads from British cars when they were run at high speed in the desert southwest. They were designed for a cooler climate and once they overheated the aluminum would soften. One could tell the difference when milling an overheated head vs a non-overheated head. One would leave aluminum chips, the other was like scraping butter. If the head is soft, and that is why the stud keeps pulling, just buy a new head.