Briggs & Stratton 22hp running issue

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
often times, governors are busted when when people[kids] try to gain rpms [hot rod] on their mower.....but it could just be metal fatigue too....i have the exact same mower and carb....they can be a bitch to fix......new gaskets and a sewing needle to clean those tiny bleed holes is usually effective...theres also ultrasonic cleaners too....but ive seen them break loose stuff and worsen the problem too....if all that doesnt work then get a proven/tested used carb [cheapest fix next to rebuild kit]....looks like you were hit with a double whammy....but at least its coming to a close:thumbsup:

bodean

Threads
often times, governors are busted when when people[kids] try to gain rpms [hot rod] on their mower.....but it could just be metal fatigue too....i have the exact same mower and carb....they can be a bitch to fix......new gaskets and a sewing needle to clean those tiny bleed holes is usually effective...theres also ultrasonic cleaners too....but ive seen them break loose stuff and worsen the problem too....if all that doesnt work then get a proven/tested used carb [cheapest fix next to rebuild kit]....looks like you were hit with a double whammy....but at least its coming to a close:thumbsup:

I find it hard to believe that it already had metal fatigue in only 50 hours running time, but since the economy has gone to pot, a lot of companies are taking a lot of shortcuts to keep profits up. Unfortunately, that sort of reputation will also kill them in the end.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
you right on about that...unfortunately ...alot of these newer v twins [ briggs and kohler] have had poor manufacturing issues..the last briggs i had lost both connecting rods out of the blue....and it was well maintained...i hope my current one will do better......common issues are valve seats/head gaskets/pusrods...etc......i wish they just would have just put OHV's on their reliable opposed twins instead of ever coming up with the v-twin craze [ i hate odd fire engines]....but maybe im just getting old and grumpy :laughing:

DaveTN

Threads
Well, it has been officially determined that gov. was broken (about half dozen pieces). He replaced the gov. , cleaned the engine and oil pump, and re-assembled everything. It only solved half the problem and there was still some spitting and sputtering. He then re-installed a known good carb and it runs great now. He re-installed the original carb and it went back to spitting/sputtering. Is it possible that the carb caused the gov to break, or vise-versa? It's weird that it had 2 problems going on at the same time. What do you think? Now we have to find a deal on a 79130 carb.

No, I've never heard of the governor causing the carb to mess up or vice versa. My cousin bought a new riding mower and it started knocking and kicking and clanging. We had no idea what it was. I wouldn't dis-assemble it because it was under warranty. The mechanic at the warranty shop said it was a broken cam of all things. But the governors usually don't require much adjustment really. I have seen them vibrate loose and have to re-position the governor shaft, and the governor arm, then bolt it back together. That's about it. Sorry to hear of the internal explosion!