Briggs &straton engine swap 16 hp oppose twin to 1 cylinder 15 hp briggs

labrette

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs &straton engine swap 16 hp oppose twin to 1 cylinder 15 hp briggs
I am swaping two briggs engine on a columbia 1991 lawn tractor from a briggs 16 hp oppose twin cylinders to a 15 hp briggs . the new engine ok but my only concern is that 15 hp more recent engine as a solenoid valve on carb that i need to wire my question where can get power to this solenoid can i take power from front lights ???

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can use any source as long as the switch feeds the source when you turn the key to the start position. You can test it by taking the exciter wire of the starter solenoid. Us a test light on the source you are trying to use and turn the key to the start position to make sure it is feeding the source. Then make sure it still has current when turned back to the run position

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The fuel solenoid is designed to operate on DC and most Opposed engines used dual circuit stators meaning the lights were powered by AC and not DC. As hlw49 said you need a 12VDC source that is switched in the RUN and START positions of the ignition switch.

Tinkerer200

Threads
OR you can replace the fuel solenoid with a plug. Your mounting holes will match but cylinder will stick out one side of the engine.
Walt Conner

labrette

Forum Newbie
Threads
OR you can replace the fuel solenoid with a plug. Your mounting holes will match but cylinder will stick out one side of the engine.
Walt Conner
Hi ! do you have a part number for this plug??

shadetree#1

Threads
If the existing switch is not the 7 terminal type I have 3 choices for your electrical mod.
Replace the 5 terminal switch with a 7 terminal so as to keep the Anti BS. solenoid (most involved)
Or just cut the pintle off the solenoid. (easiest)
Or replace the solenoid with a 5/16-24 fine thread stud/locknut and flat washer with a gasket on the washer if it's a Walbro and save the ABS as a spare for later use if needed. If it's a Nikki carb the bolt (plug as you say) is metric M8-1. Not readily available
If your existing switch is the 7 terminal type just look at some wiring diagrams and choose a ckt wire that has 12v in both start and run positions for 12v to the solenoid.

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
Hi ! do you have a part number for this plug??
I can't really tell you since you did not post the engine model number nor if it has a Walbro or a Nikki carb. IF it happens to be a Walbro - 691657, didn't list one for Nikki. Plug from practically any Walbro will work.

OR you can just depress the plunger on the solenoid, jam a tooth pick beside it, break tooth pick off. Some will tell you to cut off the plunger. By the way, since this machine was not originally equipped with this emissions gadget, it is not posting forbidden info.
Walt Conner

labrette

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is 1 cylinder briggs 15 hp Diamond IC serie and carb is a nikki i will try the tric with tooth pic since i don't a plug number for this carb.